Sign in to follow this  

Need a little suspension help please.

2011 EXC 530.  I weigh 235 without gear.  I'm a vet B type crosscountry rider.  So while training to race two years ago I was crushing my suspension on big whoops and jumps.  I ordered up the correct springs fr/rr for my weight and the Gold valving to match from Racetech.  Told my suspension guy what was going on and what I ordered, he said he doesn't like Racetech stuff, but since I already had it, he'd put it in for me.  So now on the big whoops and jumps it's just right, but if I do any trail riding or fast woods riding I kills me on the little bumps or road chatter.  Small rocks or roots are very jarring both front and rear even with all dampening adjusters on soft.  How can I get some trail plushness back, I'm not hitting the racing or big whoops much anymore but doing a lot of DS riding and single track in the woods.  I was thinking of going back to my stock springs, but leave the gold valving.  Or should I keep the fatboy springs and go back to stock valving or keep the fatboy springs and re-valve based on Racetech specs for cushy trails riding? Or ditch the Racetech stuff altogether? What say you guys? 

keep the springs so the bike rides in the right part of the stroke. go back and have him re-vale for  hair scramble , from what you are saying sounds like he set you up for mx. after re-vale to hair scramble, when in tight woods back out the clickers and for mx turn them in . have him give race tech a call first and they will help him with settings . 

Edited by mx481

Went though this on my sons KX450. installed a gold valve and too stiff on the trails.

Called racetec and got a softer shim settings. Don't change the spring you need to have the

shock revalve to a softer settings.

• Like 1

A "B" rider works the bike pretty hard while racing. A "B" rider is usually pretty smooth and needs a lot less suspension out trail riding and doing dual sports rides.

Go back and work with your original suspension guy.

• Like 1