Sign in to follow this  

'14 Magura 167 install

Ok guy, help me out here. I'm about to pull out my dam hair over this thing, so I'm typing this post before I destroy something.

So I bought a magura setup off motosport and I'm not sure if it had been opened before, the seal was broke, but the part number and slave cylinder dimensions match ones listed for 09-11 models. Maybe the 14 is different?

Anyway my problem is no mater what I do it will not fully disengage the clutch, so it drags when you push it.

I've bled the line like 4 times, added and removed spacers...

The instructions seem incomplete, and useless at that.

Any suggestions?

The part number is 0120683

The slave cylinder is # 0120655

If the bike is cold that's kinda normal...

1st: Be sure you have the proper slave cylinder "free play" at its mounting bracket!!! Most important... 3mm should be ok. Too much free play and the slave bottoms out and can't pull any more, AND you'll dislodge a major slave seal...

2nd: The Magura doesn't throw the disengagement lever quite as far as the OEM lever can so you need to remove the judder spring package (2 rings) and the shorty fiber and replace all 3 of those with a standard tall fiber. This will make less lever throw properly disengage the clutch pack: the judder springs keep some additional "spring tension" against the pack to stop judder. You should remove the judder package when using the stock cable/lever, too, for most.

Edited by Eddie8v

If the bike is cold that's kinda normal...

1st: Be sure you have the proper slave cylinder "free play" at its mounting bracket!!! Most important... 3mm should be ok. Too much free play and the slave bottoms out and can't pull any more, AND you'll dislodge a major slave seal...

2nd: The Magura doesn't throw the disengagement lever quite as far as the OEM lever can so you need to remove the judder spring package (2 rings) and the shorty fiber and replace all 3 of those with a standard tall fiber. This will make less lever throw properly disengage the clutch pack: the judder springs keep some additional "spring tension" against the pack to stop judder. You should remove the judder package when using the stock cable/lever, too, for most.

Thanks

How do you check free play? The instructions are useless.

Magura lists a different, longer throw slave cylinder for the 13-14

Edited by Jfreak

When the slave is mounted in it's bracket, you push the slave away from the clutch lever, away from the bracket, and measure how far it moves. Kinda hard to get your fingers in there so use a fat long screwdriver and just push it, it goes towards the right of the bike. The distance it moves is the free play.

Edited by Eddie8v

When the slave is mounted in it's bracket, you push the slave away from the clutch lever, away from the bracket, and measure how far it moves. Kinda hard to get your fingers in there so use a fat long screwdriver and just push it, it goes towards the right of the bike. The distance it moves is the free play.

Thanks Eddie, got the free play adjusted but it still drags.

I've got a disk on the way to get rid of the judder spring, won't be here until Monday though.

Any way to adjust where it disengages?

You can adjust the lever to be further from the bars, within your ergonomic comfort range of course. That will give you more master throw, so more slave throw. I wouldn't worry about it one more second. Just remove judder + short fiber, install a tall fiber. Then braaap time.

Went and picked up a disk from my local shop and put it in.

Wow I'm in love with this clutch now!

1-2 finger pull easy, precise engagement... Killer.

Eddies map really gave it extra pep and smoothed the power out too.

Mine did the same thing till I took out that judder set up. Plus I installed mine to run down the left side of the motor instead of the right. This way it is away from the pipe. Kinda looks like the factory bikes now :)

Mine did the same thing till I took out that judder set up. Plus I installed mine to run down the left side of the motor instead of the right. This way it is away from the pipe. Kinda looks like the factory bikes now :)

Nice, didn't think to run it down the other side. Mine is tied up away from the exhaust though.

It still drags while in gear, but it disengages when it's running and that's all I care about.

Edited by Jfreak

crf

Thanks

How do you check free play? The instructions are useless.
Magura lists a dfferent, longer throw slave cylinder for the 13-14

Eddie or Jfreak. I have a Magnura hydro from my o8 450CRF on my 13 450/  is slave throw too short to work properly?  Seems like I can't get clutch disengagement adjusted properly. Thanks

It should work ok.

Q1) What is the slave free play, in mm?

Q2) did you remove the 2 judder pieces and "short" fiber, and install a "tall" fiber in place of them?

It should work ok.

Q1) What is the slave free play, in mm?

Q2) did you remove the 2 judder pieces and "short" fiber, and install a "tall" fiber in place of them?

I see you stated there should be 3mm free play. Is this "loose" play? I.e. no slave tension on bracket?  When I pushed on slave with screwdriver per your comments I could push slave so it extended and bottomed out.

Yes, I replaced  both judder spring, judder seat and the "short" fiber and replaced with "tall" or standard fiber.

PS You did a remap of my ECU... feels like it helped the "hit" of motor. 

Thanks

I assume Eddies Sisneros remapped your ECU, I am a different Eddie...

As long as you can push the slave a mm or 2 it's not the Magura causing the issue. If you could not push the slave and see free play, it could be forcing the pressure plate away from the clutch pack, allowing slippage.