Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel crooked after being hit by a truck

So I am fine came very close to being killed today. This is the story So I just picked up my bike after I got the suspension all redone at RDP in denver. Heading home 10 mile highway ride just got off the highway and going around a roundabout this mother fekr in a f150 on his phone I can see he is going way too fast sure enough he does not yield for me I lock up the brakes and smack into the side of his truck and go down pretty hard almost getting run over by his rear tire. He stopped and asked if i was ok then took off like he did not cause the accident. I saw the company name on the truck but didn't get his plate number. I am fine but now my front wheel is crooked look at the pics where should I start.

1398991835617.jpg

1398991849775.jpg

Loosening up the front end components and re-assembling. Probably just tweaked it a little...pretty resilient lil fellers. I'd inspect things for any visible damage as you take it apart just in case. If you have the manual, may even have the procedure right in there. I can't give an exact procedure for that bike cuz i have a yz250f. However, my last GOOD tweak i had to loosen everything including the big stem nut and re-torque it all once I freed up the "bind". If after re-setting the front end, its still not right...THEN maybe you have a bigger problem.

PS...glad you're ok, thatd be scary. I have always wanted to road ride a bike (rocket or sumo), but then I remember the crazy drivers I see daily...and I prefer to be in MY F150 lol...

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF
  • Like 1

Glad you are okay.  Your forks were twisted out of alignment in the triple clamps.  Doesn't mean they are damaged, but it doesn't mean they aren't.  I would pull them off, make sure they compress and rebound smoothly, and reinstall as J_YZ suggests.  There is a procedure in the manual, which you should follow.  Forks are pretty resilient.  Sounds like you are, too.  Good news.

• Like 2

Loosening up the front end components and re-assembling. Probably just tweaked it a little...pretty resilient lil fellers. I'd inspect things for any visible damage as you take it apart just in case. If you have the manual, may even have the procedure right in there. I can't give an exact procedure for that bike cuz i have a yz250f. However, my last GOOD tweak i had to loosen everything including the big stem nut and re-torque it all once I freed up the "bind". If after re-setting the front end, its still not right...THEN maybe you have a bigger problem.

PS...glad you're ok, thatd be scary. I have always wanted to road ride a bike (rocket or sumo), but then I remember the crazy drivers I see daily...and I prefer to be in MY F150 lol...

glad you are okay.

just loosen the triple clamps up and stem up and straighten her up. i would take off my front fender for better view.

goodluck brother!

if you get into a bind just ask ill be around tonight.

Thanks guys I'm tearing it apart right now. I'll be honest with you guys I don't have my motorcycle endorsement that's why I have not called the cops I figured it would be a losing situation. I've been riding on and off the road for years mostly to get to the trails my bike is legal and insured just no endorsement. I am thinking about going to the company to talk to their manager to see if I can find out who it was.

Edited by james357

I'd start by calling the cops

Yea, i assumed he already knew that part....lol. Shocked he'd just leave, especially in a company vehicle.

Edit... Oh, lol.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Yea I kinda screwed myself for not having it I'll admit I'm a dumbass just never really seen the need for one now I see why when s*** like this happens.

But I think I got the forks straight its weird I've never had a bike do that. Was actually pretty simple. Thanks a lot guys I was freaked out cause I just put a lot of money into suspension.

Edited by james357
  • Like 1

So I am fine came very close to being killed today. This is the story So I just picked up my bike after I got the suspension all redone at RDP in denver. Heading home 10 mile highway ride just got off the highway and going around a roundabout this mother fekr in a f150 on his phone I can see he is going way too fast sure enough he does not yield for me I lock up the brakes and smack into the side of his truck and go down pretty hard almost getting run over by his rear tire. He stopped and asked if i was ok then took off like he did not cause the accident. I saw the company name on the truck but didn't get his plate number. I am fine but now my front wheel is crooked look at the pics where should I start.[/

quote]

Glad you and your bike for the most part are ok. This is why I don't ride street bikes. You should've called him in. There aren't any drivers on the road that aren't on the phone. They are all zombies driving aimlessly 20 miles per hour in the fast lane while never using blinkers or observing common driving etiquette. The most common, the rolling road block-2 cars driving same speed neither care that you want to get around them.

Loosin triple clamp bolts put tire in between your knees an straighten it up and re tighten and torque at least that's what I do

Edited by JohnCameron

I've had worse. Just loosen the front end. Re assemble everything. Won't take long and its probably just fine. When in the trails I just stand facing the front fender. Put the tire between my legs and give the bars a good jerk to the opposite side. Happens all the time.

Not to be harsh but its your own fault for being stupid enough to drive the bike without I'm assuming your motorcycle license? Its simple to get and you would be able to do something about the situation if you had it. Perhaps you will learn a thing or two by taking a course as well.

Yea I kinda screwed myself for not having it I'll admit I'm a dumbass just never really seen the need for one now I see why when s*** like this happens.

So not to belabor the point or beat up on you BUT...

Having an accident while you are riding illegally could be really BAD.

Think if you become disabled due to an accident. Medical costs can run from tens of thousands to millions of dollars. In a civil case, if it was caused by someone else you can sue for damages. Less easy if you were illegal. By the same token, your insurance company would likely deny your claim if they knew you were driving/riding illegally.

Let's take another 'for instance' case: Say you are riding along and a car full of people crashes and everyone is badly hurt. Someone claims that you caused it. Whether you did or not, riding illegally automatically puts you under negative attention and you may well be cited for no license. That citation will be used in civil court in a lawsuit, for sure. A judge could easily find you responsible and liable for everyone's care expenses.

Invalid under the care of the state? Wages garnished for the rest of your life? Both of these are very possible.

So not to belabor the point or beat up on you BUT...

Having an accident while you are riding illegally could be really BAD.

Think if you become disabled due to an accident. Medical costs can run from tens of thousands to millions of dollars. In a civil case, if it was caused by someone else you can sue for damages. Less easy if you were illegal. By the same token, your insurance company would likely deny your claim if they knew you were driving/riding illegally.

Let's take another 'for instance' case: Say you are riding along and a car full of people crashes and everyone is badly hurt. Someone claims that you caused it. Whether you did or not, riding illegally automatically puts you under negative attention and you may well be cited for no license. That citation will be used in civil court in a lawsuit, for sure. A judge could easily find you responsible and liable for everyone's care expenses.

Invalid under the care of the state? Wages garnished for the rest of your life? Both of these are very possible.

Yes it was a eye opener really stupid indeed. I have been pushing the class off for years mostly because there were no testing centers where I use to live, just moved to Colorado and I got to say these are the worst drivers I have ever encountered. I actually talked to a police officer today told him about the whole ordeal he said I could make a report and pursue him but in the end they would use not have an endorsement against me and he would get off scot-free basically. Also found out it was not a company truck but a fleet rental truck. Im just glad my bike and im ok I'm still furious about it but not much I can do.

• Like 1

I'd be willing to bet there are much smarter people than you who drive fords.

Hey now, I never claimed to be smart!

:banghead: