Sign in to follow this  

Chain gouge in case

Well i guess my chain was too loose. Was going for a ride today and herd some weid ticking/knocking, so stopped at the next stop sign and found it too be leaking oil near the front sprocket cover. trailered the bike home, took it apart and found this.

716fadc7-45fc-4ffe-95f4-d76fd5d3eade_zps

Is this some thing i can get welded or possibly jb weld? or do i need a new case?

Thank you for your help, from a long time lurker.

Has the chain warn a hole in the case so oil leaks out?  If so, clean it and repair with JB weld.  I would also inspect your chain for a broken link plate.  Possibly the chain is warn out as well.

• Like 1

Yea there is line a hairline crack where the oil is escaping, kind of visible in the picture. It seemed to leak alot faster when the bike was running, cause it was all down the side of the bike and tire.  Do i just need to clean it up and aplly some jb weld and it will be stong enough?

Yes.  JB weld will be fine.  It is not  structural problem.  Clean will be the key to success.  Yes most certainly it will leak more when running. That is part of a pressure fed oil gallery.

I took my XT350 to a marine prop repair shop and the guy welded it shut for me with out taking the motor out.

Edited by toadl

bransky - I think you are mistaken.  For many repairs I agree, JB weld is a temporary fix.  But in this case, properly done JB should last forever.

My motor had a similar problem in the first year of its life (2000). Motor was disassembled, welded and remachined for the countershaft seal. Weld apparently has some porosity and the seal area always had some oilly goo. A year after the fix I bought the motorcycle, covered the weld area with JB weld.  Been oil tight for 13 years.  In that time the motor has been apart, re-welding was easily possible but I saw no need to improve on the JB repair.  Totally reliable.  The secret to success of for the repair area to be clean.

• Like 1