Sign in to follow this  

KX85 bogging

Hello! A few days ago I purchased my first 2 stroke off road bike after having a 110cc pitbike for around 3 months.

The bike is a 2005 kx85, it's my first 2 stroke and my first real bike, I have no previous experience with anything like this. 

So after I got the bike I searched a bit on google and grabbed the manual from the Kawasaki website and went ahead and mixed my fuel at 40:1 (Manual said 32:1 but internet said 40:1 for how I was using the bike). Bike started first kick, great!

I tested the bike in my yard and noticed once it hit the powerband at around 60% throttle it would lose a bit of power and bog so I would release the throttle and continue riding, I was on the bike for around 90 minutes in total and it continued to happen, it was ridable but as soon as I hit around 70% of the throttle it would begin to lose power, I could use all the power for 2 seconds max before it would splutter and lose power/sound bad. After 90 minutes I stopped the bike to have a break and went to start it again and it wouldn't start. 

The plug was black but still had a spark so I went ahead and searched the internet and checked a load of different things before finally buying a new spark plug and my problem was fixed!

So now the bike starts but I can use probably 20% of the throttle before it simply loses power, I let the bike warm up and rode it for a minute or 2 then I decided to try and record it, it didn't come out too well but as you can see I can rev it quite a bit but once it hits about 50% it starts having trouble. Sorry the video doesn't show much:

(mix here is 25:1 as previous owner recommended I use this ratio)

As you can see it's extremely smokey.

Does anyone have any suggestions the reason my bike is bogging once I open the throttle up further than 20-30%?

Well first off, don't use a 25:1 mix ratio, go back to 40:1, if you continue using 25:1, you'll get the spark plug so wet that the bike won't even start. About the bogging, your jets may be too rich or lean, I have that problem on my YZ85 right now.

Well first off, don't use a 25:1 mix ratio, go back to 40:1, if you continue using 25:1, you'll get the spark plug so wet that the bike won't even start. About the bogging, your jets may be too rich or lean, I have that problem on my YZ85 right now.

Yes after reading a bit more online I am going to stick with the 40:1, is it a simple job adjusting the jets or is it best to seek a mechanic?

crank seals could be shot as well, slow seeping into the top of your piston, check the sight glass on the clutch cover side behind the rear brake lever, make sure your not burning the crank oil! sometimes when the bikes get hot the crank seal will get hot and the metal around will expand just enough to let crank oil in.  :thumbsup: -chris

This topic can be closed I think I will create a new one later with pics of my piston as the bike died on me yesterday (after it was running nicely) and after looking at the piston it has little chunks missing out of the top.