Sign in to follow this  

Darn Valves

Okay soo rookie move :facepalm:  a valve shim went IDk where? At first i thought down where the timing chain is so i took off the flywheel and nothing. Okay.... onto the clutch and once again nothing. Soo where could my little friend go? 

When i took off the valve lifter i didnt see the shim but i also didnt see it fall could it be that it had no shim? impossible right?

Im not sure if this happens, but did you look up inside the bucket to see if it was "stuck" in there? May of been temporarily but fell out when u moved the bucket (like fell out on the ground). If there was a lil oil on the shim and it wasnt pretty well stuck in the retainer, it MAY of pulled out with the bucket.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Im not sure if this happens, but did you look up inside the bucket to see if it was "stuck" in there? May of been temporarily but fell out when u moved the bucket (like fell out on the ground). If there was a lil oil on the shim and it wasnt pretty well stuck in the retainer, it MAY of pulled out with the bucket.

Forgot to mention i did check the bucket and no shim i ussed a 12" magnet but didnt find anything on the floor i hope it just went onto the floor and just got lost but now im scared to try running the bike

Ya id be a bit nervous too if you cant find it. Check the spark plug hole? Lol.

What kinda bike we talkin bout of curiosity.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

It couldn't have not had a shim, you would have had a really noisy clattering valve train without.  Get some small diameter telescopic magnetic retrieval tools.  They've saved my ass a few times.  Poke around everywhere and find it before starting.  I've dropped one and found it between the engine and skid plate.  

let me ask this another way: did you find the shims on any of the other valves? Do you know what to look for? They are usually stuck at the bottom of the bucket and you need a magnet to take them out.

There is little hidden valleys in the head they it could be hiding in.  Best bet would be to remove all the valve buckets and get a tiny magnet to poke around in there with.  If it's not there, and not anywhere around the stator/flywheel it may be on the floor :p

Did you look at the flywheel really closely? If it fell down into the cam chain area it will tend to stick to the magnet on the flywheel.

Did you look at the flywheel really closely? If it fell down into the cam chain area it will tend to stick to the magnet on the flywheel.

Hmmm never thought of that amd i took off the cylinder and looked into the bottom end nothing there so if it aint the flywheel ima run it hopefully nothing happens ive basically torn down the motor with no luck thanks