Sign in to follow this  

Factory pro shift

Just purchased the shift kit from factory pro, I know there is conflicting info but thought its cheap and may as well give it a go! Will give an update once I've tested it. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398996174.006440.jpg

Can I ask what this is for. I know its for the gear.

And is it easy to put in?

I am interested because my rmz 250 k8 his got the gears a little loose feeling.

It helps for a more positive shift, you can actually feel the gears clicking when changing! LOL Yeah it's easy to put it in but it is time consuming. Grab a service manual and the right tools and take it slow.

Cool, good to hear. I'm getting a complete rebuild top and bottom ends, so I'm going to get it installed while its apart. Marc from factory pro is good to deal and fast with replies, also got the hammerhead 10+ shift lever ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399009064.630148.jpgas I'm a size 13 boot heard it helps!

• Like 2

Cool, good to hear. I'm getting a complete rebuild top and bottom ends, so I'm going to get it installed while its apart. Marc from factory pro is good to deal and fast with replies, also got the hammerhead 10+ shift lever attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399009064.630148.jpgas I'm a size 13 boot heard it helps!

Shit I'm a size 11 and the shift lever is wayy too small. It really is something I need to get as well. If I get a rebuild I'll do the factory arm. For now mine shifts smooth. I use 15-50 oil. I believe the heavier oil is good for the transmission.

What's the story on this kit verse putting in a 450 spring?

Im not sure what the difference in the end result would be. I did look into this as an option because the standard 450 spring is a really cheap part,  My brother who also owns a 2011 is going down this path so will let you know re factory pro kit vs 450 Spring. The reason I went with factory pro as they are proven and had the detent arm. 

Shit I'm a size 11 and the shift lever is wayy too small. It really is something I need to get as well. If I get a rebuild I'll do the factory arm. For now mine shifts smooth. I use 15-50 oil. I believe the heavier oil is good for the transmission.

I just raced yesterday and I felt it was great, the only complaint is when I fitted the lever it almost de threaded itself, as I think the 8mm bolt the use is slight larger and has to be perfect on the groove of the spline. believe it or not 10mm makes a difference, 

• Like 1

Mine is an 07 with low hours.Was told most Dont have issues but some do.

So adding a $4 part or $50 doesn't matter to me as long as my shifting stays good.

The word I'm getting is to change before having issues.Hopfully that's the fix.

Thanks for your replies to this matter.

• Like 1

I used the 450 detent. Only cost $4. Works awesome

Thought you had the arm? Yeah the part is only 4 bucks but the labor is like 300 bucks. Tearing into a transmission is no simple job. I'm also not convinced that is what is the solution. The transmission wasn't designed to work with that spring. I personally think it could cause problems in the long term. Just my op. The arm is more plausible. I'm reluctant to do anything yet. Mine shifts smooth with around 45-50 hrs.

Thought you had the arm? Yeah the part is only 4 bucks but the labor is like 300 bucks. Tearing into a transmission is no simple job. I'm also not convinced that is what is the solution. The transmission wasn't designed to work with that spring. I personally think it could cause problems in the long term. Just my op. The arm is more plausible. I'm reluctant to do anything yet. Mine shifts smooth with around 45-50 hrs.

I did this mod with the arm and spring. Pretty simple to do. You don't have to get into the tranny just remove the clutch basket and it's all there.

Definitely improved shifting by making it more positive. I wasn't having any issues before either other than the occasional mis-shift into neutral if I half assed a shift. It's practically impossible for that to happen now.

You won't be sorry for doing it and it's a cheap improvement with noticeable results.

• Like 1

Alright I'm going to do it. I looked at the micro. And it looked like you have to split cases and everything. I never even have mis shifts though but I see how it's possible. I'm going to start with the lever first and then do the factory pro next month. Side note: I just want to say that I think the rmz-250 section is the best section on TT. Bunch of badasses in here. Everyone else sucks.

The rmz-250 is badass too. It will be a shame when this thing becomes outdated I'm kind of attached to it.

Edited by perkybewbs
  • Like 2

The rmz-250 is badass too. It will be a shame when this thing becomes outdated I'm kind of attached to it.

I feel the same way. I plan on keeping it for a while. I couldn't justify selling it for a new bike and then start doing everything ive already done to the previous one and dumping all the cash all over again. I hope it stays relevant for a while. Even if they come out with an all new one I'll probably have to wait awhile.

• Like 1

I feel the same way. I plan on keeping it for a while. I couldn't justify selling it for a new bike and then start doing everything ive already done to the previous one and dumping all the cash all over again. I hope it stays relevant for a while. Even if they come out with an all new one I'll probably have to wait awhile.

Well the only thing that's wrong with the rmz now days it doesn't look as modern as the others do but I bought this bike to do work not to show. It hasn't been changed since 2010 yet it's still better than some of the others. I almost bought the gutless 2012 Ktm 250sxf so glad I did not. The rmz250 has 35hp and so does the 2014 yz250f. Seems kinda slow buti guess that's what 250s do at the wheel.