Sign in to follow this  

2012 300xcw suspension.

Just took my new to me 300 xcw for its first rip. Very happy with the power but the front end seems very unplanted and kind of unstable.

The bike has stiffer springs but still very plush.

Whats the trick to making these bikes handle better?

Are you coming off a 4 stroke? If so....all 2 strokes feel that way initially.

Joe

no, coming of a CR250.

Get yourself a set of 20mm triple clamps....that bike has 22mm stock and in my opinion that makes them hard to stand up on and makes the front end very sketchy.

Get yourself a set of 20mm triple clamps....that bike has 22mm stock and in my opinion that makes them hard to stand up on and makes the front end very sketchy.

forgive me here ,i havent had my coffe yet, but wouldnt 20mm offset clamps make the front end steeper and more twitchy?

The problem is that 22mm clamps have the front tire too far out and the front wheel wants to push instead of turn ...20 mm clamps pull front wheel end and makes the bike bite and handle better in the slow stuff and makes the bike more stable when you stand. I had a friend who had the exact same issues and he put a set of 20mm clamps on and it is night and day different. 

As far as high speed, I have no head shake issues at any speed on my 2013 300 XCW...we have had a couple races this year already where I was tapped out in 6th at over 75 mph and the bike was rock solid. 

And yet libs still bring up things Ronald Reagan did or the Iraq war etc etc. but this the president lies to us, nobody's held accountable for our diplomats dying and all we get is "that was a long time ago"

Yep 22 on the new pds frame is not good.....19 or 20 much better.

The 13 has 20 stock.

Offset has nothing to do with fork angle.

Edited by E-TECH

Yep 22 on the new pds frame is not good.....19 or 20 much better.

The 13 has 20 stock.

Offset has nothing to do with fork angle.

I am in no way trying to be a smart a$$$$$$ but if the offset does not change the fork angle what does it do?  It changes the distance the front wheel is in front of the bike, so it has to change the angle of the forks????

Again, that is as much a question as a statement, I definitely am not a geometry whiz or a know it all but I do believe that 20 mm clamps  bring the front wheel closer to the bike than 22 mm clamps and the only way they can do that is by standing the forks up straighter.  They may do it by changing the angle of the steering stem but that also will pull the forks in.

But regardless we do agree 22mm clamps do not handle well on the newer pds bikes.  The 2008 250/300 had adjustable 18-20 mm clamps and they were really good.  They seem to go back and forth ever so often putting 22 them 20 for some reason.  Not sure their why KTM does that.  I had a 2009 200 XCW with 22 mm and it handled like crap.  I never figured out the reason why until after I sold it...lol

I am in no way trying to be a smart a$$$$$$ but if the offset does not change the fork angle what does it do? It changes the distance the front wheel is in front of the bike, so it has to change the angle of the forks????

Again, that is as much a question as a statement, I definitely am not a geometry whiz or a know it all but I do believe that 20 mm clamps bring the front wheel closer to the bike than 22 mm clamps and the only way they can do that is by standing the forks up straighter. They may do it by changing the angle of the steering stem but that also will pull the forks in.

But regardless we do agree 22mm clamps do not handle well on the newer pds bikes. The 2008 250/300 had adjustable 18-20 mm clamps and they were really good. They seem to go back and forth ever so often putting 22 them 20 for some reason. Not sure their why KTM does that. I had a 2009 200 XCW with 22 mm and it handled like crap. I never figured out the reason why until after I sold it...lol

offset is the distance from the center of the steering steem to center of the fork tubes. So offset does not change the angle. All it does in move the fork forward or back at the same angle. It does change the "trail" of the bike.

I had thought the same as you untill i read up on it more.

offset is the distance from the center of the steering steem to center of the fork tubes. So offset does not change the angle. All it does in move the fork forward or back at the same angle. It does change the "trail" of the bike.

I had thought the same as you untill i read up on it more.

Correct.

KTM's are extremely picky about sag settings, play with that and see if it helps.

And correct again.

And correct again.

well I guess you are never too old to learn...lol....but I still stand by my advice of getting 20 mm clamps...it will help...I do not know how but it will....lol

• Like 1

well I guess you are never too old to learn...lol....but I still stand by my advice of getting 20 mm clamps...it will help...I do not know how but it will....lol

i sure hope cause right now my '03 cr250 is light years ahead as far as handling goes.

Does anyone know what or where I can find the offfset on my 2014 300exc.

20 mm

Your bike has 20 mm clamps, you can look on an online parts finder and it tells you.  Your top clamp is the same one used since 2012 but the bottom is apparently new since your bike uses the new style front fender.

i sure hope cause right now my '03 cr250 is light years ahead as far as handling goes.

What ya weigh in gear?

Spring and sag off slightly make a good KTM feel like $hit