No Spark?

-2008 Ktm 200 xc-w

So last spring, I was washing my bike with the pressure washer, got in and around the frame pretty good, maybe to close. Went to go and start it, no spark. Ok so I pull apart kill switch, dry it out and put dialectic grease in it. Bike has spark and fires up. Perfect. Next day, no spark.. Eventually it fires and runs fine for a few hours of shutting it off and starting it. Randomly, it won't start, no spark. Mess with kill switch and by coincidence it starts. So it's got a temperamental spark problem. Half the time it has spark half the time it doesn't. If I can pull it behind a truck or find a good enough hill, it will actually jump start, only thing I can think of is that theirs a loose connection somewhere, once theirs enough electricity generated from higher rpms the bike starts, or when the connection is fine it starts no problem.

I have..

-checked all connections leading to coil and spark plug.

-changed kill switch

-changed Coil.

Still no spark, probably still temperamental. I am stumped, what would cause this?

Maybe a short somewhere else along the kill switch circuit, try looking for a frayed wire that is earthing on the frame or something. Has it been starting and then cutting out suddenly for seemingly no reason?

Maybe a short somewhere else along the kill switch circuit, try looking for a frayed wire that is earthing on the frame or something. Has it been starting and then cutting out suddenly for seemingly no reason?

that's what I thought, but I can't seem to find anything that doesn't look right. Once it's running it runs fine, it will start perfect sometimes, the next time I will either have to jump start it or just keep kicking and moving the bike.

might be your stator starting to go out.  The common pattern is that they'll start right up when cold, then they get hot and won't start unless bumpstarted (the slightly higher revs generates enough electricity from the failing stator to start the motor).  Then the stator cools down and they start right up by kickstarting.

• Like 1

might be your stator starting to go out. The common pattern is that they'll start right up when cold, then they get hot and won't start unless bumpstarted (the slightly higher revs generates enough electricity from the failing stator to start the motor). Then the stator cools down and they start right up by kickstarting.[/quote how would I test the stator?

Unfortunately for me, I was replacing components one at a time. When I replced the stator, the bike worked great. There should be an Ohm spec for the stator circuit in the shop repair manual. It should tell you which 2 wires coming out of the ignition cover are the stator circuit. Use a multimeter to check that the stator circuit is in spec. Then, when the bike won't start check the Ohm reading for the stator circuit again. The reading should be the same. If the stator is bad, the Ohm reading will have increased as the stator got hot. Everything sounds easy to do on paper. LOL

Does anyone know if a bad stator has any visual signs that it might be the problem? Like black charring on some componentry from short circuiting, or anything else that can be seen without any testing equipment?

Does anyone know if a bad stator has any visual signs that it might be the problem? Like black charring on some componentry from short circuiting, or anything else that can be seen without any testing equipment?

I think that if it was burnt it is obviously done. I am going to pull the cover off and have a look at it first and if theirs no visual signs I'll test for resistance, ohm reading. What is a good amount of resistance etc.. coming from the stator?

Guess I was wrong about measuring resistance. The attached PDF tells you how to trouble shoot the Pulse Generator (ignition trigger) and generator output (stator). This is for a 2000 year bike with the 2K-3 stator which is the same stator as in your bike so the process should work on your bike also. They measure peak voltage while kicking the bike over, which may require a special electrical test apparatus.

http://ktmdirtquestions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2000-KTM-125200250300380-sxmxcexc-Electrical-Wiring-Manual.pdf

Thanks everyone for the response! I got it solved! I was checking my cdi box, pulled it of and the bike started first kick! The wire had rubbed through and was shorting out on the frame, I guess I overlooked it as it was barely worn through, siliconed it up then taped it and perfect!

Thanks everyone for the response! I got it solved! I was checking my cdi box, pulled it of and the bike started first kick! The wire had rubbed through and was shorting out on the frame, I guess I overlooked it as it was barely worn through, siliconed it up then taped it and perfect!

wow good for you... i prob would never have checked there

I have an 07 250 xc with similar symptoms. Mine will actually die, almost like it runs out of gas. It will not have a spark, but if I replace the plug the bike can be ridden for several hours. I did discover that it can be pull started without changing the plug, so I believe it is an electrical issue.

Sounds like I should check every wire and connection, if no issues are found I should start replacing electrical parts. I'm thinking of selling this bike and do not want to pass this problem on to someone else. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have an 07 250 xc with similar symptoms. Mine will actually die, almost like it runs out of gas. It will not have a spark, but if I replace the plug the bike can be ridden for several hours. I did discover that it can be pull started without changing the plug, so I believe it is an electrical issue.

Sounds like I should check every wire and connection, if no issues are found I should start replacing electrical parts. I'm thinking of selling this bike and do not want to pass this problem on to someone else. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would start by checking all electrical connections, tightening any that seem Loose and cleaning them.