Sign in to follow this  

How to break in boots

ride in them. get them wet. mink oil on leather

Any suggestions. Alpine star tech 3's

Good luck, my one month old 2014 Tech 3s are already falling apart.  I broke them according to a few videos on youtube and the stitching on the side is tearing off, and the TPU is tore after 4 days riding.

I usually squat in mine for a good minute or two each day for a week or so to make the ankles flex and stretch a little bit

Tech 3s don't really break in until they are broken. Lol still rideable, but stitching popped out and such. I don't know if astar fixed this or not with the 14s, But if you have a problem with the buckles take a round file to it slightly

Good luck, my one month old 2014 Tech 3s are already falling apart.  I broke them according to a few videos on youtube and the stitching on the side is tearing off, and the TPU is tore after 4 days riding.

Tech 3s don't really break in until they are broken. Lol still rideable, but stitching popped out and such. I don't know if astar fixed this or not with the 14s, But if you have a problem with the buckles take a round file to it slightly

My opinion, if Alpinestars spent less money on advertisements and more on materials their gear wouldn't be junk.

• Like 3

This^ lol. My Tech 3's are beat and they feel like they are just now broke in. I absolutely hate the buckle system, especially after a 2 hour harescramble where they are packed with mud and you're tired :banghead:

Remove from box. Thrown in the garbage.

Then go buy some crossfires or g10s.

Seriously, cheap boots are miserable.

Yes, if you don't spend $500 on boots, you will die.

Love these threads

• Like 3

Remove from box. Thrown in the garbage.

Then go buy some crossfires or g10s.

Seriously, cheap boots are miserable.

sidi crossfire 2's they were broken in out of the box!!! And have held up to perfection! For 6 months.... Not to mention they look super trick....! I wouldn't buy anything else..... Although I've heard great things about the G 10's

I've got some Thor quadrants that are a season used and fine..... i don't get the expensive boot craze

Thor Ratchets here. Sidis definitely look much more comfortable, and being rebuildable is awesome. Maybe these Thors won't kill me before I save up the scratch for the others

Thor Ratchets here. Sidis definitely look much more comfortable, and being rebuildable is awesome. Maybe these Thors won't kill me before I save up the scratch for the others

My thors aren't killing me at all, i love them and they feel fine lol. Might be why i don't get the boy fad

My thors aren't killing me at all, i love them and they feel fine lol. Might be why i don't get the boy fad

Mine feel great now. They really broke in after the second ride, when they got wet
  • Like 1

I've got some Thor quadrants that are a season used and fine..... i don't get the expensive boot craze

It's a matter of quality equals comfort equals durability.

Plenty of guys here including me would wear out a set of Quadrants/MSRs/661s in a couple of months. A quality boot lasts us a year or more.

The quality boot is better to crash in too. Better quality also equals better protection.

Cheap quality boots work for some people and not for others.

It's a matter of quality equals comfort equals durability.

Plenty of guys here including me would wear out a set of Quadrants/MSRs/661s in a couple of months. A quality boot lasts us a year or more.

The quality boot is better to crash in too. Better quality also equals better protection.

Cheap quality boots work for some people and not for others.

So what would you reccomend for someone?  I have some 14 Tech 3s and they suck....I want to get some new boots.  I have been looking at the 14 Tech 7s, 14 Tech 10s and the SG12s.

Just ride in them.. A stars are great boots. I bought a pair off craigslist once, well the sole fell off them. So I called alpinestars, they said send them in. Well they had been too old to fix, so they sent me a recon paired of T7's.. Call the company, they will make it right, trust me.

Don't over do it with oils, they will get too soft.

Ha Ha I'm glad to see others have had my experience.  Tech 3s DO NOT break in, ever.  In addition to never breaking in, they have the worst buckle system I have ever seen.  The buckles are impossible to open when you are off the bike and want to take them off, yet those very same buckles will pop open DURING A RACE!  How does that happen?

Sell you boots now to someone who is more interested in name brands, and go buy yourself anything else.  No matter what kind of boot it is, it will be better than a Tech 3.

• Like 1

So what would you reccomend for someone?  I have some 14 Tech 3s and they suck....I want to get some new boots.  I have been looking at the 14 Tech 7s, 14 Tech 10s and the SG12s.

Don't be swayed too much by price.  I have a pair of SG 10s, Thor quadrants, and Fox Forma Pros.  I got the Fox boots for $50 off craigslist list and i like them the best.  My SG 10s have been very disappointing.  I do wear them, but I don't particularly like them.