Sign in to follow this  

Dr 350 sproket ratios

So i bought my DR 350 with a 14 tooth front and a 47 tooth rear. I couldnt get myself out of second gear in the woods and didnt want to put any stress on my transmission. So i put a 12 tooth on the front and now my bike will go about 50 mph in 6th gear and thats above cruising rpms! Should i change up my rear sproket. Anyone got any good combos for tight trails, hillclimbs, and easy wheelies? It would also be nice to be able to ride on the road to my friends house without going over cruising rpms. Thanks! Its a 1992 and im pretty sure 14-47 is stock

Well I think you are trying to achieve the impossible unfortunately!  Dual sporting is always a compromise which is why I run at least 14-48 on mine and usually 14-45 for road speed. Tight woods is 1st gear mainly, that is my "compromise".

The DR has a relatively wide ratio anyway, only beaten by KTM EXC's so there's your answer :)

Hey Htown,

14/47 is only stock if you have the off- road model (dr350). The dual sport version (DR350s) is stock with 14/43. Be careful when ordering because the rear sprockets have different bolt patterns. I wouldn't go 12 on the front, because the chain really rides on that swingarm guide. How about a 13 on the front and you ride to your friends house a bit slower? That's what I've come to on mine.

The S was set up from the factory with turn signals and a battery. Even if the prior owner removed the turn signals, do you have a turn indicator switch on your left hand grip? Also, our early DR350s models will actually run without a battery, so if yours is missing the prior owner may not have replaced it. On your keyed ignition switch you'll see Off, On, and P positions. In the P position, the tail lamp comes on (driven by the battery), the the bike won't start, and you can remove the key.... In case you need a "parking light" at night if your stranded on the road. The DR350 website, Tiny War Machines, is also quite helpful and you can see parts microfiche there that will help you. Have fun!

keep in mind that the dr350 was made with 2 different primary drive ratios so everything you read will not apply to your bike. I believe your 92 would have the higher primary.    me and my buddies gear our bikes so that in 6th gear   50pmh is at 5,000rpms and 60mph is at 6,000rpms . this makes trails and road use doable but neither are ideal.   I only cruise at 6,000 rpms and no higher.

to give you an idea what my sprockets are and how the different primary drive effect them my bikes are geared as followed...

1991     15    48

1999     15    42

both my bikes feel like identical gearing because the different primary drive

keep in mind that the dr350 was made with 2 different primary drive ratios so everything you read will not apply to your bike. I believe your 92 would have the higher primary. me and my buddies gear our bikes so that in 6th gear 50pmh is at 5,000rpms and 60mph is at 6,000rpms . this makes trails and road use doable but neither are ideal. I only cruise at 6,000 rpms and no higher.

to give you an idea what my sprockets are and how the different primary drive effect them my bikes are geared as followed...

1991 15 48

1999 15 42

both my bikes feel like identical gearing because the different primary drive

Wow! So you take your 91 dr350 in the woods with 15:48 gearing? I thought my 14:47 was geared too high. You you ever leave first gear in tight trails and hills?

The S was set up from the factory with turn signals and a battery. Even if the prior owner removed the turn signals, do you have a turn indicator switch on your left hand grip? Also, our early DR350s models will actually run without a battery, so if yours is missing the prior owner may not have replaced it. On your keyed ignition switch you'll see Off, On, and P positions. In the P position, the tail lamp comes on (driven by the battery), the the bike won't start, and you can remove the key.... In case you need a "parking light" at night if your stranded on the road. The DR350 website, Tiny War Machines, is also quite helpful and you can see parts microfiche there that will help you. Have fun!

My bike is missing the speedometer/rpm guage cluster and there is no key ignition switch. Also the stock fenders have been replaced to ones without lights. It does have a battery though, does the dirt model have one? And there is no turn indicator switch but it does have new handle bars on it and the guy before me couldve just left them off. Also i see it has a steering lock if that helps. And a locking gas cap

If you have a VIN number handy, check out this website.

www.oem-cycle/KawasakiDR350.shtml

I know the label is odd, but it opens a Suzuki DR350/600/650 VIN id page.

Wow! So you take your 91 dr350 in the woods with 15:48 gearing? I thought my 14:47 was geared too high. You you ever leave first gear in tight trails and hills?

if I plan on riding more than an hour in the woods I throw a 13 on the front. but the 15 is doable. I can lift the front wheel up over anything I want in second. its bored to 441 though

The higher the gearing, the more low end torque... The lower the gearing, the more top speed

Don't let Monday ruin your Sunday!

I run on my dr350 14/48 and I find my self trying to click into 7th gear (there is only 6) on the open trails because I am doing about 7000rpm at about 80kmp/h

I am changing to 15/48 so I can stay cruising