Sign in to follow this  

Newbie questions few different topics

Hey guys,

I ride a 2010 yz250, V-Force 3, Steahly 11oz flywheel weight, Renthal 51t rear, stock otherwise. 

Im starting to learn a little more about the 2 stroke engine and setting up my bike so I would like to ask a few questions after reading a lot.

I read the squish band threads and decided to buy a used head ($67 shipped) and send it off to rb to get it worked over. I ride at 300-1100ft elevation and am wondering if I'll have to change my jetting. Im a little fuzzy when it comes to carbs, so I'd love to keep it where it is. stock I believe. But I'd love even more to have it running right. Any past experiences?

Still sort of on the jetting subject, I've noticed a little spooge at the bottom of the silencer (stock). Is that normal? Its not bad, isnt running out the top, and isnt all over that side of the bike. I run yamalube 2-R at 32:1. Should I go to 40:1?  WIll that hurt the engine to change ratios?

I read somewhere about cleaning out the pipe and silencer. Is there an interval for that? Does it hinder power if its dirty? Also, can the stock silencer be repacked?

Last group of newbie questions. I bought the bike used from a guy the rode mx. He had the bike "setup" for his weight (145). I weigh 175 but dont know how to jump and ride trails with a little bit of air as I go slow around the easy track. I would like to progress and eventually ride and enjoy mx tracks, but I will also always be riding trails. Should I change the suspension to suit my weight on the track? Or keep it soft for the trails? I know how oil weights work as I ride streetbikes and have my FZ-1 set up for street riding, but should I go stiffer or not?

Thanks for all the help,

Matt

My JD Jet Kit doesn't recommend changing to different jets until 3000ft so I doubt riding at your mentioned elevation will affect the stock jetting much.

A little spooge coming out of  where the silencer meets the combustion chamber is fairly normal on 2-strokes. I'm sure you could nail the jetting to the point where it doesn't but it definitely isn't a "bad" thing. Changing from 32:1 to 40:1 would not be harmful to your engine unless you were already running it incredibly lean. You should be able to notice a change though.

I usually repack my silencer once a year but it could probably be done with much more time in between without notice. I do not exactly know what the negative affects of a dirty silencer are but the packing is so cheap that there's no reason not to do it. The stock silencer should definitely be re-packable.

As for the suspension, I believe the stock setup for most bikes is adjusted for a 175 pound rider. I personally have no experience using different oil weights in my forks but I would be surprised if it made much of a difference. I woud just refill them to stock specs. Many people who weigh more than their stock setups intended install stiffer springs into their forks; other than that, suspension tuning is an art that is best left for moto shops. You can find a ton of information on good/bad suspension shops in the regional discussion forums.

Awesome, thank you very much.

The bike seems to run great. Smokes a bit when cold but clears up when warm. Runs like a champ to me. Im just trying to keep it that way.

I will look into repacking. I'd like to eventually get an aftermarket silencer but the stock runs great for what I do.

Thanks again