Sign in to follow this  

Raising DR650 to stock height

My buddy has a 2005 DR650 that has been lowered by flipping the fork spacers. He is wanting to take the bike back to the stock height. Is there a video or post in this forum that has instructions on how to do this on the forum?  Is there as special tool that needs made or bought to do this job?  Thanks.

My buddy has a 2005 DR650 that has been lowered by flipping the fork spacers. He is wanting to take the bike back to the stock height. Is there a video or post in this forum that has instructions on how to do this on the forum?  Is there as special tool that needs made or bought to do this job?  Thanks.

Hi. Lowering the DR using the fork spacers involves taking the preload spacers at on top of the fork springs and placing it onto the damper rod lower in the forks. You will need to remove the damper rod inside the forks to reverse this by removing the preload spacer from the Damper rod, replacing the damper rod spring back in to its original position and replacing the preload spacers back on top of the fork springs. I made my own special tool to removed the damper rod which simply holds it in place from inside the fork tube while you undo the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork leg that retains the damper rod from the bottom. It looks like this and from memory its 30mm hex head.

ENuQSi7l.jpg

Above: 30mm nut welded to a nut welded to a bolt plus socket and extension

AyXzdgMl.jpg

Above: tool duct taped to socket and extension

ygMJPxel.jpg

Above: Tool inserted up inside fork tube into top of Damper rod and held in place with foot. Allen key to remove damper rod retaining bolt while holding fork leg with pipe through axle clamp.

Edited by kezzajohnson