Sign in to follow this  

Tusk Wheel set VS Excel wheels?

So I'm in the middle of a full rebuild on my 2006 CR125. I recently purchased brand new Excel wheels from someone who never had a chance to use them. My intentions where to Powder Coat my hubs red and spoke it with my OEM spokes. After looking into the price of Powder coating the hubs and relacing and truing the spokes and the purchase price of the of the wheels puts me at about the same price of the Tusk package on Rocky Mountain for 500. Now I know many will say they won't hold up but in all honesty I'm a very novice rider and not racing by any means. Mabey one day I will get really good and prob want a Very solid rim but for now I'm no where near pushing a rim to its max like most of you guys here. Mainly practice MX.

• Like 1

I've seen a few of the Tusk package's around my neck of the wood's and have never witnessed a problem,,,not to say it can't happen,, but you should be fine with their set-up. Good looking product too. Oh, never hurt's to keep the warranty paperwork if that applies.Good luck.

Edited by Alan48

I wouldn't be afraid to purchase a set, just check the spokes when you get them and make sure there's grease in the bearings

been smashing my new Tusk wheels for a couple weeks now... spokes are all still tight, I love em!

• Like 1

I feel like these excels I have are a waist. Mabey I will keep them around incase I do smash the tusk up and will want something stronger. I will decide later I guess!

If I did decide to keep the excels and get talon hubs. What spokes and nipples will I need and how much are the hubs and spokes and nipple. I can't find a price?

I have been less than impressed with what I've seen from Warp9 and Tusk in the wheels and other accessories they make. But then again I'm hard on wheels.

Not sure what your budget is, but check out Faster USA. They build wheels using Excel rims and Rad hubs at great prices. They are worth a look.

Also check out the used market. Some good stuff on eBay and the classified section here.

If I did decide to keep the excels and get talon hubs. What spokes and nipples will I need and how much are the hubs and spokes and nipple. I can't find a price?

You can get hubs and spokes from Faster USA and Dubya.

I've got over a hundred hours of desert and woods riding, a couple of 60 mile hare scrambles and a 100 mile desert race on my Tusk rear wheel set.  I also bought just the rim and laced it to my stock front wheel humb about 80 hours ago.  I've had no problems and I'm an aggressive 200# rider riding a CRF450X.  My guess is they are going to hold up equal to the stock rims at least. 

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm sure I can get get the excels off my hands at a local track near by here. I got them for a good price new never used. Or atleast I think I got a good price.

My idea is, im in my excels for 200, to powder coat both hubs is another 100 for the 2 hubs. I really can't afford not think spending 500 on Talon hubs is worth someone that rides once a week and dosent race. If I have TZR " Tom zonts racing" lace and tru my wheels it's 180 for the pair. That still leads me to 500 just about. Guess my question is will my set up be worth doing price and quality wise vs Tusk products. Essentially I will have stock hubs and spokes just excel wheels. Not gonna lie I'm stressing about what to do. I don't wanna waist time doing all this work with the excels to make them work if the set up is still gonna feel like a chop job.

I feel like with excels you need to complete them with other quality components. Like good hubs and strong spokes. But that can stupid expensive. Then I feel that's a waist because people that use those really expensive products either race and are sponsored and don't pay or some people have the money to spend on having the best.

I spoke with RTR wheel lacing in Florida and they said 250 to powder coat the hubs and lace the back up. So after shipping and everything I'm in this set up for about 565. What do you guys think?

I did the same thing that you are talking about. I bought tusk rims and had them laced to my stock hubs, with new spokes and all.  By the time that I bought rims, spokes, I laced my wheels my self, But had a shop true them up, I was 530 dollars into them,  I could of got the tusk wheel stet for 417 dollars threw my dealer account on rocky mountain!!  But i figured that going the way I did would be the cheapest but man was I wrong.

No on to the tusk rims them selfs.  I ride Intermediate MX and AX class, ride in the hills, rocks, and jump some big jumps.  I am right around 240 pounds. and they have held up awesome!  Next time I need wheels It will defiantly be the full tusk wheel sets, They make great products.