Sign in to follow this  

Just scored a brand new '11 450 rr - still in crate

New to the forum! From BC area...

Im 5'11 and about 195 lbs, extremely late 20's,  I ride trail, woods, logging roads...

After riding Suzuki, Yamaha, and finally KTM I decided to upgrade machines...and hopefully now with less issues. 

This brought me to a relatively unknown shop in my area whom had 7 bikes (all beta) new in crates. 

I picked the 2011 450 rr and get to break it in on saturday (patience) ... I got a smoking deal on it, 4k less then you would expect to pay around here. Ive started her up and done a bit of work so far:

Pulled almost every Sticker off the plastics, they were curling and I prefer just plain plastic. 

I pulled the shorai battery out of my KTM and threw er in...

Also yanked the BRP bar mount brush-guards off the Orangutang, they are mounted into the bar ends with threaded SRT inserts. . . great mod. 

Fastaway pegs that fit my 03 EXE fit the beta just fine so I put them on too, i was lurking and reading about beg swaps...they installed with no hiccups. 

I have a 51 tooth Dirt Tricks rear sprocket that may be fit next. . . 

Plans are:

rad guards

linkage guard - but c'mon 300 bucks!!! 

not sure how the seat will work out - seems like a piece of 7/4 spalted maple with a vinyl sheet on it. 

Do you guys break them in hard or like the factory recommends?

Cheers,

Catchak 

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! 

Its a great looking bike with a good price! As for the break-in; when I bought my new 2013 xc-w 250, I took it out immediately and took it easy for about 2km. After that I couldn't resist to ride balls to the walls. This is on a 2 stroke as well. My dealership recommended to just simply take it easy for the first ride, with an occasional brap down the road. 

• Like 1

Congratulations!! You got a brand new bike and an awesome deal!!!.. I forget now but you may want to get the upgraded timing chain tensioner..I don't know maybe the 11's fixed that hiccup so you may not need it. That is a smoking deal and you will love the bike. As far as the seat goes  ..just try it and see how it goes. Gutz makes a good seat cover and foam if you feel like upgrading.. Sounds like you have things under control anyway.. just run the bike in high gears and low rpm.. don't wind it out.. It works great just short shifting anyway. I just ride like that most of the time anyway so my motor is sort of babied. .. once your bike breaks in be ready for a little more oomph seems a bunch have said that the motor comes a little more alive after a long break in period. You may go into the exotics threads and put some Beta searches in there to see if there might be some info you might be interested in. Have fun!!! and Welcome!! You can of course cruise through the cross reference thread and slowly move through the disorganization.  ..but basicly americanbeta has everything now. The newer generation Beta is just the 2010 upgraded a little.

Great deal.

Just get the timing tensioner and the decompression kit from the 13+ models.

It makes starting much easier for the starter.

• Like 1

Congrats!! and welcome to the sickness....

The 450RR is a excellent sized Beta and very under rated, OK I'm a little biased.

You can replace the seat foam and leave the stock cover just by buying the GUTZ standard foam , which equals the Beta "soft" foam, one in the same.

See how it starts for you, but for a while AM-Beta was supplying the updated decompression kit for free to new owners of the older Beta's such as yours, if it's hard to start, check it out if you have problems, I know of a couple of people that scored free parts.

Yet the tensioner is on you, if I owned a earlier version I would buy the kit and when it's time to adjust your valves I'd dump in the updated cam tensioner and decompression kit, it will make the motor much more quieter at idle, and super easy to start...

But sounds like you have it goin on!

Enjoy!

Edited by MarkBevans

Lugging an engine during breakin is never a good thing. The engineers designing/building the bike are very knowledgeable, trust them. Follow their instructions.  Enjoy your bike for a long time. :thumbsup:

here are the de-badged photos...dont understand why they upload sideways

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I broke her in today...nothing too serious, about a 30 km ride mostly on logging roads, and a bit of trail. 

Did or does anyone have issues with the bike stalling out when riding the clutch in first at slow speeds?

Im not sure if its apart of break in, however could someone explain the decompression mod and impeller mod in detail??

How was everyone else's ride this weekend?

I wouldn't adjust any thing till broken in. I would have thought the dealer would have upgraded the decompression release before delivering the bike. Welcome to Beta Anonymous, we met here daily. ;)

• Like 1

I had a brand new 2012 450RR and it was a fantastic bike. Very Honda in build quality. Your stalling is quite normal in tight single track and stock gearing. The starter will not turn it over after a stall until you press the starter button several times to overcome the compression.

The one thing I did that transformed the bike was to install a Rekluse auto clutch! Made the bike a pure joy to ride.

I was one of the people that got the free upgrade on the auto decompression release. I didn't think it made any difference. A Beta 450 has a kickstarter that feels like it's binding. Mine never did free up and it seems to be universal complaint.

Other than that I dropped the counter shaft sprocket down a tooth.

Enjoy your new bike!

I had it out yesterday - the clutch and the starter are going to bug me for sure....stalls at the worst time, and not because i'm not grabbing the clutch. 

This kick starter is pretty tough to kick over, so Im thinking the best thing might be to go with a Rekluse clutch. I fought the bike way too much, battery wasn't fully charged when I left for the ride which was my mistake...

Turns out my neighbour works at Mongoose Machine which is close by, hoping I can snag a deal on a Rekluse clutch! 

I had it out yesterday - the clutch and the starter are going to bug me for sure....stalls at the worst time, and not because i'm not grabbing the clutch. 

This kick starter is pretty tough to kick over, so Im thinking the best thing might be to go with a Rekluse clutch. I fought the bike way too much, battery wasn't fully charged when I left for the ride which was my mistake...

Turns out my neighbour works at Mongoose Machine which is close by, hoping I can snag a deal on a Rekluse clutch! 

The starter thing could be the decompression assembly.

I'd take a look as the 2014 carb jetting and see if the there were jetting changes between then and now. As my 450 runs so smooth, starts so easy. 

Yes, the new Rekluse Cores are incredible devices, I love mine, makes it a stall-proof machine...

Oh yeah, dump the stock battery, and stick in a gel battery. Even the brand new 2014 Beta wet cell batteries are sub standard..

Get carb vent filters and fan kit.

Put breather filter on one tube from smog junk remove...K&N item.

• Like 1

Get carb vent filters and fan kit.

Put breather filter on one tube from smog junk remove...K&N item.

Good point, the vent filters are a must do, but I forgot about all the smog crap, that should disappear, then install an adjustable fuel mixture screw, a little tweaking with that should make your 450 easier off road...

Where are you riding, specifically?

McNutt, Bear Creek, Tamihi, Vedder, Squamish . . . the usual suspects for the coquitlam resident. 

Thanks for the support guys...

My name is Catchak and I am an Alcoholic ...er I mean brappaholic haha