Sign in to follow this  

Need some serious help guys.

Yesterday I picked up a 2006 crf450x off Craigslist. Getting this bike has literally been my life long dream. I paid a bit more than I wanted to (4500) but it seemed like the right bike and I was assured it was in good mechanical condition. Or so I thought..

I was looking at it today and found a HOLE drilled out in the right side cylinder head cover. I'm hoping one of you guys may have some sort of idea as to why someone would do such a horrible thing. Any help is much appreciated I'm pretty much having a panic attack at the moment.

1399009236908.jpg

Don't panic but that should not be there. You need to remove the seat, fuel tank and that cover.

The cam is directly behind that hole and by no means do you want any foreign material entering through there.

A thorough inspection is needed to see if you have any damage to your cam, valve springs etc.

Edited by Razman11

Thanks for the help man. Nope I'm from the U.S. Washington to be specific. I did take it for a ten minute short ride yesterday and it ran awesome if that helps it all.

Very little oil is coming out. There is a lot of residue on the bottom of the bike but not much on the side. Sadly there is no sort of cover. I can see a couple metal shavings hanging on the inside of the hole.

Not trying to freak you out but I would be contacting the guy you bought that from and asking some serious questions to start with.

Until then don't start it again.

Yeah I have tried calling and texting unsuccesfully. Definitely going in the shop asap.

I just can't wrap my head around why someone would do this.

1399013848203.jpg

1399013882026.jpg

1399013896237.jpg

I'm thinking it may have had a j-b weld plug on the outside of the case, and that the compression of the engine popped the plug out.

I also found some j-b weld on the bottom of the clutch cover behind the brake pedal which I'm assuming is covering a crack or a hole as well.

Something is or has been wrong at some stage. That hole looks like it has been punched from the inside to the outside as the burr is on the outside of the valve cover. Don't ride that bike until you fix it, any dirt that finds its way in will make short work of your valve assembly.

If it is an 06 model this is what the end of your cam should look like. I am in the middle of a top end rebuild at the moment (07 model).

From what I can see from the photos it looks like the decompression shaft that bolts into the end of the cam is missing. Was it hard to start? Are you using the button or kicking it? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399015074.425083.jpg

The hole definitely feels like it was punched from the inside out. It was very hard to start to say the least but I thought it was just hard to kick over. The electric start worked when I test road it but not when I got it back.

Looking at your photos zoomed in, I am confident in saying the end of your cam has snapped off, shooting the decompression bolt into the cylinder head cover thus creating that hole.

I am very surprised it is still running. They must have removed the decomp setup inside and sold it.....

If not it must still be in there. Do not attempt to start it.

That makes a lot of sense. I can't believe it's still running. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm really hoping the whole engine hasn't grenaded.

If you look at my photo closely you can see the bolt that goes into the end of the cam that holds the decompression setup is an Allen key and is grooved on the outside of it just the same as the marks around the edge of your hole.

It also looks as if the cylinder head cover is warped outwards. This has been done by a lot of force.

I'm afraid the news is not good mate, this may have caused a lot of damage right down to the bottom end and oil has definatly been leaking out that hole.

I would be knocking on the sellers front door.......ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399016572.182285.jpg

I wish I could unfortunately I met the guy at a storage unit and I have no way to get his address.

I'll bet the assembly was removed to sell the bike

I don't think there is debris inside the motor.

You can see some wrench marks on the motor mount nut...so it was probably taken apart and removed.

Not to be a wet blanket, but you did confirm the motor and frame vin to the pink, and the pink name to his drivers license name....and maybe took a pic of his DL?

Good luck.

I'll bet the assembly was removed to sell the bike

I don't think there is debris inside the motor.

You can see some wrench marks on the motor mount nut...so it was probably taken apart and removed.

Not to be a wet blanket, but you did confirm the motor and frame vin to the pink, and the pink name to his drivers license name....and maybe took a pic of his DL?

Good luck.

Do you think what I am suggested with the end of the cam snapping off is correct?

If so, have you ever heard of or seen this happening before?

The outer portion of the decomp is bolted to the cam with the allen bolt.

I'll bet a valve adjustment was performed, and some dufus loosened that bolt.

I'll bet it backed out and then ground it's way through the valve cover, then the decomp fell off from the cam.

• Like 1