ENTER OUR GIVEAWAY!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

xr650l 5.8 acerbis tank or 4.7 clarke? Gas mileage after Dave's Mods? New FMF Q4 Pipe?

I was leaning towards getting the Clarke but then I realize I would have to get rid of the wings. So my main question is, does the Acerbis Tank being that it has the shape of the wings does it work as well as the stock wings for cooling the motor? I was reading up and I seen the 650l gets hot on the highway without the wings. I would also like to get a spitfire windshield. Do you think the Acerbis Tank will become a problem with the windshield that would be bolting onto the handle bars? 

I bought this bike about a month ago and its my first xr650. I can't get enough of this bike and looking forward to having some long adventures this summer. So right now I know i'm running lean due to it back firing on deceleration and I de smog it a few days ago and it almost seem like it got worse. I bought the smog kit and I'm about to put on a FMF Q4 slide on Pipe. I'm going to bring it in and get it re jetted after I put on the pipe, but I was also curious about dave's carb mods and the gas mileage after it was done. I live in Portland, OR which is pretty much at sea level but I will be taking it up though the mountains as well. What size jets would you recommend?

I like the acerbis tank. It does interfere with my Pro Contour aftermarket handlebars, but it's only an issue for trail riding and hitting the tank before the stopper on the lower triple clamp. I have not heard of this before, so I assume it is just with these aftermarket bars.

As far as the tank helping cool the engine, I think that is wishful thinking. Looking at this first picture, although I see your point and the overall shape does kind of resemble the cooling fins, the tank is so much higher that it does not really direct too much airflow into the head and cylinder, rather over it.

ytb6.jpg

That being said, I have never had an overheating problems after removing the stocker tank.

8yuk.jpg

nq6l.jpg

Getting 240 miles per tank is very nice. Now I talk crap to all the street bike riders. 45 mpg along with 5.8 gallons gives me better range than most street bikes hahaha

I was leaning towards getting the Clarke but then I realize I would have to get rid of the wings. So my main question is, does the Acerbis Tank being that it has the shape of the wings does it work as well as the stock wings for cooling the motor? I was reading up and I seen the 650l gets hot on the highway without the wings. I would also like to get a spitfire windshield. Do you think the Acerbis Tank will become a problem with the windshield that would be bolting onto the handle bars?

I bought this bike about a month ago and its my first xr650. I can't get enough of this bike and looking forward to having some long adventures this summer. So right now I know i'm running lean due to it back firing on deceleration and I de smog it a few days ago and it almost seem like it got worse. I bought the smog kit and I'm about to put on a FMF Q4 slide on Pipe. I'm going to bring it in and get it re jetted after I put on the pipe, but I was also curious about dave's carb mods and the gas mileage after it was done. I live in Portland, OR which is pretty much at sea level but I will be taking it up though the mountains as well. What size jets would you recommend?

rejet it yourself, Dave's is rather simple but extremely effective in performance improvement. I would get the jetting correct before the performance exhaust. Actually I think the exhaust is a waste...remove the stock baffle..open the air box, and rejet....then....hang on tight!