Sign in to follow this  

2011 KTM 250sx Woods/Bush conversion

Hello, new to Thumpertalk so please forgive any mistakes i make. 

I recently bought a 2011 250sx second hand and I mostly plan on riding in the bush with it. I have already installed EE aluminium hand guards, EE skid plate, and a steahly offroad 11 oz flywheel weight and a JD jetting kit. Next up, I plan on buying a long range fuel tank and I can't really make up my mind on what to get. I like the acerbis 3.0 g tank and the clockwork 3.1 gallon and my favorite, the IMS 3.3 gallon tank. I like all of these tanks, and I don't really care about the center of gravity issue so that is not a problem. What is Holding me back is the looks (I love the look on my bike and I want it to stay looking nice). It is hard to find any good pics of any of these tanks online and I was wondering if anyone with a 2011+ 250sx with any of these tanks on them could please upload a picture of them. 

And on a side note, I am only 14 and I weigh about 65kg and my suspension has been re sprung for my weight and the clickers are all the way out, but i was wondering if there is anything more I could do to soften the suspension without getting a revalue. I know can take out fork oil but i'm on my own with this bike and i think that would be hard to do. Any tips/advise on this please.  Thanks.

Two quick things to try before you spend money or sell it.

1.) change out the power valve spring to the mildest one (green). This will soften the "hit". You may have received the extra springs. Otherwise it's less than $5 per spring.

2.) make sure the "map" switch wire is unplugged on the cdi it will put the timing in the wet conditions mode and tame the power a little.

After that if you need to tame it even more you could go for a flywheel weight or one of the throttle tube cams that are designed to open the throttle more slowly.

With all the above you can really tailor the bikes power to your needs.

go here:  http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?t=491725   for pics and my review of clockwork tank and odometer I got for my 2011. 

since that post I have ridden in desert and at the track.  the tank works great and I don't notice it.

for tight trails I use the green spring and I also added 1 tooth to the rear and use a shorty for the track.  its alittle to much down low so I am probably going back to stock gearing.  for desert I use a turbine core 2 silencer

Thanks for the reply's. 

I have already installed a 11 oz fww and I love it even though it did less than I thought. I found that with the yellow PV spring and the fww the weight just got rid of the snap and made It a bit more lugable down low. I would recommend it very much. As for the clockwork tank, I am not sure if you can remove the spark plug with it on or not and if so is it easy.

Thanks for all the reply's.

In my opinion ims makes the best aftermarket tanks have 4 bike that has one and they are high quality and fit nicely. I also have a clockwork for my dr400 dual sport and the clock work seem like a toy compared the quality of ims...