Sign in to follow this  

What are some of your favorite places (or worst places) to camp and ride? Why?

Pen,state huh?

Go South. Hatfield and McCoy's!

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 1

Arizona, all over.

USFS, BLM, Reservation, Private ranches. You can almost cover the state only crossing pavement.

I'll never ride it all.

Mike

• Like 3

Thanks. I am from PA, but can travel. Have family out to MO, TX, and down to FL. We also love camping and would travel for that. Sometimes my husband goes to Phoenix, AZ on business for weeks at a shot. I've never gone, but now a plan is hatching.

• Like 3

AZ and California both have some great areas to go riding. SoCal desert rides are a blast, and there some nice MX tracks (Glen Helen, 29 Palms, Adelanto, Lake Elsinore, loads more). If you're willing to drive up the mountains there are some awesome trails (San Bernardino mountains, near Lake arrowhead). When I was a kid my dad and I used to start at trails in those mountains and take them down to the desert, then ride all the way to Vegas. Hundreds of miles worth of good trails out there  :ride:

• Like 4

Thanks. I am from PA, but can travel. Have family out to MO, TX, and down to FL. We also love camping and would travel for that. Sometimes my husband goes to Phoenix, AZ on business for weeks at a shot. I've never gone, but now a plan is hatching.

I can take you to some wicked places near Dallas, nothing compared to the WestCoast though. WestTexas has incredible desert riding, but it's all private land and gotta have a club hookup to find the places (I know a few guys who get me in).

RedRiver is where LastManStanding took place, which spun into all sorts of RedBull hard Enduro events. Fun stuff.

• Like 1

AZ and California both have some great areas to go riding. SoCal desert rides are a blast, and there some nice MX tracks (Glen Helen, 29 Palms, Adelanto, Lake Elsinore, loads more). If you're willing to drive up the mountains there are some awesome trails (San Bernardino mountains, near Lake arrowhead). When I was a kid my dad and I used to start at trails in those mountains and take them down to the desert, then ride all the way to Vegas. Hundreds of miles worth of good trails out there  :ride:

I used to ride Bowen Ranch Rd, south of Apple Valley.  Dude--we're talking about mountain trails, hill climbs over 1200 feet high, not a rock in sight.  My CR 500 would lose power and I could feel the jetting get richer by the top of these hills.  Amazing stuff.  Mostly bandit riding, the best kind

• Like 1

I used to ride Bowen Ranch Rd, south of Apple Valley.  Dude--we're talking about mountain trails, hill climbs over 1200 feet high, not a rock in sight.  My CR 500 would lose power and I could feel the jetting get richer by the top of these hills.  Amazing stuff.  Mostly bandit riding, the best kind

"Bandit Riding", now I like that.  Now it's got me thinking about changing my username.  "Devil-Bandit", "Desert-Bandit", hmm...... "Sex-Bandit", "Smoker-Bandit", no wait.... got it......"Taco Bandit" :lol::devil:

• Like 1

Hatfield Mccoy is awesome im 1 hour away from trails there.

would show you and your husband a few places!

camping is aweome as well

• Like 3

1200 ft. in the mountains? not really much unless straight up from sea level? Or did you mean 12,000 ft?

Joe

1200 ft. in the mountains? not really much unless straight up from sea level? Or did you mean 12,000 ft?

Joe

He said the climbs were over 1200 feet, as in the change in elevation from start to finish. I think elevation in Apple Valley is just under 3000 ft, and I know those trails can take you up to Pinnacles staging area near Arrowhead, which sits around 4500 ft. 

Mine would have to be camping too close to a main highway and hearing big rigs go by every 20 minutes, that would be "one" of my worse. Favorite place is away from any fire ant colonies that might be in the area. They tend to take over your camp. Nicest place to camp, ride, hell live, will always be my favorite "Red Mountain" which I shouldn't be talking to much about since it's my honey hole secret and really don't want to share. As to why, it's simple; I drive 3 hours one way to reach what I consider the most remote area of desert in Southern California to simply avoid the POPO and crazy ass people you otherwise see every day. To be free is to ride butt naked through the desert only wearing helmet, boots and gloves and run into no one other than a horny jackalope. Ultimately, it's gives you a sense that while you must be nuts, you're free nevertheless. In truth, my local spot that I speak of which happens to be the infinite place I belong, is both the best and worst, but it's mine, all mine. :facepalm::devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL
  • Like 1

Kinda depends on where you live for this question, unless you are planning on traveling around the country..

sent this weekend at hatfield McCoy. Bear wallow and the rock house trail head Rock house was by Farr my favorite place to camp all over down there. Www.trailsheaven.com has all the info you will need
  • Like 1

Mine would have to be camping too close to a main highway and hearing big rigs go by every 20 minutes, that would be "one" of my worse. Favorite place is away from any fire ant colonies that might be in the area. They tend to take over your camp. Nicest place to camp, ride, hell live, will always be my favorite "Red Mountain" which I shouldn't be talking to much about since it's my honey hole secret and really don't want to share. As to why, it's simple; I drive 3 hours one way to reach what I consider the most remote area of desert in Southern California to simply avoid the POPO and crazy ass people you otherwise see every day. To be free is to ride butt naked through the desert only wearing helmet, boots and gloves and run into no one other than a horny jackalope. Ultimately, it's gives you a sense that while you must be nuts, you're free nevertheless. In truth, my local spot that I speak of which happens to be the infinite place I belong, is both the best and worst, but it's mine, all mine. :facepalm::devil:

I used to race at Red Mountain, not too secret if you're D37 ;-). It's a nice spot, up there with Lucerne Valley for me. I love the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere

Edited by Porkchop Sandwich
  • Like 1

Land between Lakes in Kentucky is pretty fun. Its between a couples of lakes so there is that.

I used to race at Red Mountain, not too secret if you're D37 ;-). It's a nice spot, up there with Lucerne Valley for me. I love the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere

I know it's no secret, I was joshing, but it's a fine piece of real estate to ride. I have a few honey hole camp sites away from the limelight of traffic. The last time I was out there, hell, the last few times I was out there, you hardly see a soul anymore. Maybe two or three riders. That's what I like about it. It's secluded. Lucerne is cool too, but out there, I usually ride the Soggy Dry Lake Bed, and lately, it's riddled with nails from people burning pallets, so you're always sure to get a flat if you ride on the lake bed. That general area is great to ride, all located around Barstow. You can ride from Barstow, to California City, to Lucerne, and around Red Mountain, that is if you plan the trip right and make sure you have gas stations and a bottle of mix on the way. I've ridden a lot of spots in Southern California, and the best has always been Red Mountain. Not only do you get the challenge of riding some serious terrain, but it's just as challenging making sure you don't drop into a mine shaft that typically isn't marked and can swallow a bus. That's why BLM closed off a lot of good spots out there, because they got tired of sending rescue parties to find missing people they never end up finding. It's treacherous terrain, and if you ride solo like me for three days out there, you have to really keep your wits about you and make sure you don't become a statistic. :devil:

• Like 1

Joe

For a single hill climb, not a mountain that you trek up for several miles, it's a big one.  WFO the whole way.  1200 ft elevation, with a 40°+ angle, equals 1744 ft climb (A²+B²=C²).  When a CR 500 has to be kept in the top of its power band lest it loses power, it's a hell of a hill.

In philosophical terms, this is what they call ineffable--words don't do it justice ☺

• Like 1