Sign in to follow this  

Who runs a 15/47 on an xl600r? 603cc 10:1 CR

I am running 14/43 with a under rated 520 chain and just realized the premature wearing out is due to the wet dirt roads of spring and having low tensile strenght. Since I live in the "land of dirts roads" and only take paved secondary roads, I descided to go 15/47. I went with larger rings for a reduced wear rate but also to get a smidge more low end grunt for some trail. The chain I bumped up to an 0-ring 520 that is rated 8100 lbs. Has any one had chain stretch using an under rated chain? I need to adjust the chain evey couple of rides and its at the end of the slots in the swing arm. I have and do remove the chain to clean it in the parts washer some times, and I lube it every ride. Also, how do you like the 15/47 for trail and paved? 70mph is my max speed but I don't want the bike buzzing. Right now it will do 85mph with alot left on the pipe, I just don't like or trust the bike at or above that speed. 

I don't bought a cheepy volar chain off eBay last year and I adjust regularly. Even now. Chain does suck lol. For a long time I thought my engine was throwing a rod because of the vibration under accel but it ended up being that dodgy chain vibrating lol. And I don't take my red over 70, things get sketchy with a 5 gallon tank! But yes I'm running your same setup for gearing. Love it.

• Like 1

Cool, and thanks for the response. I am running a basic 520 DID non o-ring and i get that vibration as well. Maybe the o-rings act to dampen chain vibrations. It makes me wonder why they listed these bikes as 100mph bikes. You are so out in the wind and the front fender is bent down almost into the tire at above 80. I get wobble under hard accelleration with the front wheel un weighted. I was considering a dampener but figured it was better to ride the bike within its limits instead. 

Here and update. I just put on a 15/47 with an o-ring and it is the perfect gearing for me on this machine. It will do 65-70 with out buzzing and have more on the pipe. I just don't need or want any more speed on this bike. It is low enough in first to do some single track with and mild woods riding. The best part is now the span between stock gears is perfect with the sprocket combo. There is no over rev and the next gear catches with no delay in power delivery. For me its the perfect combo.  Oh, the best part, the acceleration felt in the seat of the pants. The only thing that would be a negative, is that the throttle is a little jumpy, you need to be mindful in town, otherwise I think thats a plus.