cr125 vs crf230f

Hello,

My friend seems to think 4 strokes are so much better than 2t's and thinks his 2009 crf230f will whoop my 87 cr125 (bored to 133) on the track and on the straight away. I know he has more experience but don't you think i will have more power? Im guessing he will beat me on the straight away once i tac out but m not sure, just trying to shut him up "cocky"

Thanks,

Isaac

Hello,

My friend seems to think 4 strokes are so much better than 2t's and thinks his 2009 crf230f will whoop my 87 cr125 (bored to 133) on the track and on the straight away. I know he has more experience but don't you think i will have more power? Im guessing he will beat me on the straight away once i tac out but m not sure, just trying to shut him up "cocky"

Thanks,

Isaac

I'll take this seriously.

Your bike in its day would have been state of the art really, 230s are great bikes but they aren't state of the art.

You have more power, likely more suspension and likely more brakes.

I have seen people fly on 230s before though, so if he's that much better you might have a loss on your hands.

• Like 3

Yea, neither of us have ever been on a track though, he has just been riding the past 3 years and i haven't. But i rode as a child for probably 4 years.

Although by the time we "race" ill be much more comfortable on the bike and we will basically be the same level of experience on the track.

Nothing to completely bring to this aside from the fact that a CRF230f weights 238lbs dry weight...your bike weighs maybe about 197lbs? a whole 41lbs lighter...then there's the whole thing about the 230 being the trail bike, it rides pretty good on track granted I'm not a track rider but I pretend to be ?  Depending on the track there aren't a whole lot of straight-a-ways so you may have that going for ya too!  And depending on y'alls weight and how yall ride will def be a dertermining factor.  If you get a lot of trail riding in you'll have a lot of technique to bring to the track, just got to figure out how to use it.  I'm not a pro but I've def witnessed how knowing how to trail ride helps track riding.  Plus there are a few people I've been getting help from that have raced for years, that told me that ?   

Not gonna lie though, I'm rooting for the 230 just cuz that's what i ride :D

Good luck and be safe!!  :ride:

Edited by mL26

Comes down to many things, but ultimately the rider... But in terms of performance, your bike has the 230 beat on all counts (assuming your engine and suspension are dialled in).

I ride a 300cc 2 stroke (death machine...lol) but also have two 125's (my son's). No 230 could make me grin the way those 125's do when they're on the pipe....and the way they handle and respond to rider input is unmatched......you can be straight sideways and with a tiny shift in weight bring that thing right back, my 300 sure doesn't respond like that. ANY displacement 2t race machine has insane power when on the pipe..... It's just an unfair comparison, period.

Your 125 was engineered and manufactured as a competitive race bike to be ridden by the best riders in the world at the time (not so much in stock form, but you get what I'm saying). The 230 is engineered and manufactured for bulletproof reliability, low maintenance, and ease of rideability for everyday people...

But, there are kids out there on 85cc bikes who can lap other riders on the most up to date 450's, as well as kids on 230's who could whip my arse on my 300cc race bred woods machine. So again, really more about the rider...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

It's been said, but I'll say it again. Your 125 should beat the 230 pretty easily in every way. It's a power valved 2 stroke that is pretty much the same as a modern 2t.

The 230 is the equivalent of the old XR 200, great bike but not going to win any drag races, or MX races without either major modification, an exceptional rider, or both.

This is assuming both bikes are in a proper state of tune. The pride of the 2 stroke world is now on you, don't lose!! ?

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 3

It's been said, but I'll say it again. Your 125 should beat the 230 pretty easily in every way. It's a power valved 2 stroke that is pretty much the same as a modern 2t.

The 230 is the equivalent of the old XR 200, great bike but not going to win any drag races, or MX races without either major modification, an exceptional rider, or both.

This is assuming both bikes are in a proper state of tune. The pride of the 2 stroke world is now on you, don't lose!! ?

Perhaps a better engine than the late CR125.

• Like 1

I love the feedback! Getting the bike re-jetted now, its pretty bad, but I should be riding it soon and ill let you guys know! Hes probably a better rider but like i said neither of us have touched a track. I also need to adjust my suspension and yada yada but im sure ill get him soon enough! Hes getting more and more cocky each day, hes talking all from his walled (rich farmer kid) and im a poor kid who loves riding!

Thanks!

Isaac

• Like 1