Sign in to follow this  

2000 CR250 rebuild

First of all this isn't a bike I just bought as it seems most of these threads are "new to me" used bikes. I bought this bike in 2002 after being off of bikes through my high school, college and early twenties. Rode it for a year then went racing in '03. Did a couple other races the next year or two and just rode trails and practice days up to '08. Took it out for a real ride twice since '08 and its been in storage since then. I've decided that its time get back on the scene since i now make way better money and actually have the time to ride. Was getting real serious about buying a new '13 or '14 CRF450R then decided it would be wise to get the ole CR out of hibernation to see if I could really get into it and race again like I've been planning to do. Since I pretty much know the full history of this bike, I knew exactly what I needed to do. Re-grease the bearings, new filter, new top end and a few other details. Upon pulling the head off I found a small gash going up the cylinder wall and where it matched up on the piston as well. Sent head off to get re-plated stock size. Ended up replacing all my swing arm, shock and linkage bearings, new springs front and rear to my weight, new seals for the forks since they would be torn apart anyways, rebuilt the rear shock, new OEM clutch cable (found it wore to the metal around the steering column), new set of modern sleek numbers to make it go faster lol and a few anodized red trinkets hear and there for looks. No new plastics as of now or major polishing of the frame. Just want to get a "buttery smooth" new bike feel again with a fresh up on anything operational before I spend too much money or time on the looks. I don't have any issues with the radiator hoses but think now would be a good time to replace them cause they are 14 years old and would live to get red or blue hoses but '02 is as far back most aftermarket goes. I see there are some on Ebay but understand these my be Chinese replacements. Does anyone have any experience with Ebay hoses or where to get colored hoses for my bike?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399041303.787460.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399041325.187175.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399041345.004138.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399041372.973863.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399041400.137464.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399041420.219947.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399041436.103913.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399041448.387129.jpg

I would be concerned about where that piston pin went. Especially at first startup!

. As you can see it did not get any other spot in the cylinder and the top end hasn't been apart in years and many many rides. Yes I know it could have ended up in the bottom end but there is no telling exactly when it happened. There has been no signs of malfunction before tear down and I did fire it up for a quick spin and fresh idea on a before and after feel. I will look again but was pretty sure the actual pin was still there even though it doesn't look it in the pic. With these factors in mind, I'm gonna not mess with the bottom end. Another in depth rebuild of the bottom end in another year or so when I have more space and better shop will happen and at that time I will look into some major upgrades in the bottom end and complete shine and polish as good as new look. I appreciate the advice though and expect a lot of responses against not looking at the bottom but I am pretty sure I'm safe in this area as of right now, knowing the past 12 year history helps me in this decision/gamble. :-)

Gotta few questions for the great and knowledgable on here lol. I am replacing my clutch cable, OEM, and was curious if anyone lubes them up from the start or is clean and dry the best way to go when new? Also, I got in too much of a hurry to tear the bike down and didn't drain the oil after running the bike one last time. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. It still has the oil in it for now if that helps. And the last question for now is about graphics. I'd really like to put stock graphics back on it and love the Factory Effex '01 graphics that would fit but it is a '00 and they only have '01 style. I'd like the FX cause they are thicker and would be more durable but I'm proud of my '00 and want no question if someone sees it. Is OEM Honda the only option in this area?

I'll finally get to spend some quality time with my bike tomorrow in the shop. Don't get much of that since I'm a single dad with a 4 year old daughter. Even though I just started this thread, this build has been going for 5 weeks now. Anyways, I'll be rebuilding my front brake master cylinder and the calipers as well. There's a lot of squish and hoping I don't need a new brake line too but pretty much counting on it from what I've read on here. Will also be installing all new OEM breather hoses on my carb. I'll just say that I get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I read that the '01s need to get their hands on a '00 Carb lol. I'll try to see what else I can do on this rare garage time I have but unfortunately will not be able to finish cause my cylinder still has not come in yet :-( it has now been over 5 weeks of waiting. This extra time is bad too (in a good way) cause every time I turn around, I find another little part that I want to replace or rebuild lol. My Honda shop knows me all too well cause I'm in there every day ordering another trinket item. I stick with them instead of these online stores cause I have worked there and needles to say, get a good deal on everything. Nice perk. I may try to clean up my pipe some I guess. I really want to just tear it all down and clean up the frame like new but I'm in borrowed space at my dads shop already. Had to move his gold wing out to the barn lol

Got some front brake repair and clean up done. Got a little carried away with the wire wheel. It's clean thoughImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399148642.519610.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399148657.217353.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399148670.617509.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399148694.134222.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399148707.750468.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399148722.807713.jpg

I bought the Honda oem tank shrouds and they come with the decals already applied. Best way to go in my opinion for the stock look. Still have a brand new pair from my '00. 

Edited by YHGEORGE

I bought the Honda oem tank shrouds and they come with the decals already applied. Best way to go in my opinion for the stock look. Still have a brand new pair from my '00.

Thanks, I was afraid of that but was hoping for another cheaper option. I do agree that OEM is the best way to go. I may get them but wait until my next rebuild next winter. I may be hitting the ground a lot lol. I've been off the bike a few years. I'll be putting new brake fluid in my rebuilt brakes soon and have seen many different ways from sucking the fluid down from the master cylinder and other things. I'm gonna try injecting the fluid from the bottom up cause air goes up right? Does anyone know how much fluid it actually takes? I picked up a couple large 60ml syringes to do this with. In theory, it sounds like the best way to me. Opinions?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399233238.970883.jpg

Ok so I'm having issues getting any kind of pressure on my brakes. Ended up using the syringe to suck the fluid to the bottom (calipers) cause going up wasn't working.... After a pretty good flow started coming out and seemed full, no pressure... Took the like off at the master cylinder and pushed to good flow there then re-installed that and could push it from caliper up to fill the master cylinder... Still not getting pressure. I have master cylinder off now making sure everything is right and all looks good. Is there a step I'm missing?

The piston with the spring on it is the new one and without is the old.... Left rubbers untouched on the old one to make sure I put back together right

Edited by Gazor75

Ok so I found nothing and chalked it up to the rubbers getting turned out when I put the piston in. Took the time to make sure they weren't this time and all is good. However it seems I will need a new brake line. The calipers were the main issue as the rubbers were leaking there and most of the squish is out. I'm just not happy with the squeeze on the lever as it doesn't seem to hit that hard stopping point when pulling in. I'm gonna leave the brake line alone for now and see how they work on a test ride before I mess with it any more. Also got some good news from the Honda shop yesterday. My cylinder is in transit back to the shop! Hopefully it comes in tomorrow so maybe I can put it all together and try it out before I go back to work on Wednesday! :-)

Ok so is it best to coat the piston and cylinder with 2 stroke oil? Any ideas would be appreciated. Honda Manuel says to do it so I'm guessing that is the best route but any unknown secrets would be awesome! Got my cylinder in today and about to get it back together.

Very very light film.

Ok thanks.... Kind of on hold for now again.... Eats at me that I have all the parts I need to put it back together and test it but my little daughter comes first.... She's only 4 once right? It might be a late night in the shop after bedtime though.

Ok so is it best to coat the piston and cylinder with 2 stroke oil? Any ideas would be appreciated. Honda Manuel says to do it so I'm guessing that is the best route but any unknown secrets would be awesome! Got my cylinder in today and about to get it back together.

Check out dry installs I used that method and it works very well

Also for a rad tube brand Asi is good make sure to use the most popular seller and you should be good ;)

Edited by Benfro89

Check out dry installs I used that method and it works very well

Also for a rad tube brand Asi is good make sure to use the most popular seller and you should be good ;)

Thanks for the info. Just pulled an all nighter getting the cylinder back together and back on the bike. About to get a few winks then finish it off this afternoon and fire it up if all goes well.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399375059.701528.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399375070.718028.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399375081.718566.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399375094.250520.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399375107.468599.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399375127.335068.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399375157.451318.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399374985.002924.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399374996.384797.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399375031.112586.jpg

• Like 1

You better keep that garage locked tight!!! ;)

It's a bit of a mess with a lot of accumulated things. Then crammed full of bikes lol. I've got a few projects ahead of me when I get a decent, more open shop of my own again. Have 3 full restorations coming somewhere down the line. '86 CR125, 86 KTM 250 and 78? Honda TL 125 - the first bike I rode and learned on. Anyways, about to go out and finish this one off and bust it off for the first time :-)

After about 3 or 4 hours of sleep I got back after it and finished her off... Runs great! Good low mid and high end pull. Just broke it in in the ditches and dirt roads at my place. I couldn't wait to just sit on it after all the new bearings and shock work with stiffer springs etc. it doesn't look like a brand new bike but she's clean and I fell in love with her all over again :-)

New breather hosesImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399422782.976639.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399422802.584477.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399422815.935032.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399422835.067809.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399422846.868025.jpg

And here she is all finished up, still have a fresh new "tall" seat comingImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399422928.235955.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399422947.668598.jpg

And now put away again, and for some reason, I think she looks sexy from the rear lol

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399423022.451383.jpg

• Like 1