Sign in to follow this  

94 DR 350 Cutting Out at idle

Hey guys.  Newbie here with the DR 350.  I just purchased a '94 DR 350 dirt model in non-running condition.  After rebuilding the top-end and cleaning the carburetor I finally got it running, but it's cutting out at idle.  Not dying completely, it just cuts out for a second and then keeps running.  It only does this with the choke off, the bike runs great when the choke is on.

I'm thinking it's fuel related, but thought I would post something and get some feedback.  Something else I've noticed that may be related is this thing takes forever to start cold.  If it has been sitting for a week or so it takes 10 - 15 kicks from TDC before it finally fires.  Then it's fine and restarts with just a single kick.

Anyway your comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Get the carb off and check the pilot jet is properly clear - it is very small and doesnt take much to block with a bit of dirt, or resin from dried up fuel coats it inside. You might need to buy a new one if you havent got something similar to compare with cos you can't really see if it is coated internally.

You can strip some cooper cored electrical cable and gently poke one of the strands through.

Check the whole carb and all the airways (again) while you're there....

If the bike runs better with the choke on, it's definitly a fuel issue