Sign in to follow this  

need help with fork oil wt.

Ok first i ride a 95 kx250 with a 99 kx250 front end (43mm forks if memory serves). Now spec oil wt is 5wt but my uncles trying to convince me to use 10wt as we live in arizona and commenly ride in 100-120 degree weather. My biddys telling me to use mobil one syn atf which is 7wt. So anyone on here have any advice on what weight oil to use. by the way im 240ish pounds and i believe the forks are stock sprung. Also anyone know for sure the air gap? I have read some people say 70mm and others say 105mm but i dont have a manual for the 99 front end just my 95's

105 mm should be good

10w is the one to go (no atf).

But you do need springs.

105 mm should be good

10w is the one to go (no atf).

But you do need springs.

Yea i know i need springs, i just dont think they are in the budget this season. My original forks were sprung for 240 and i loved em. They bent in an accident and found the 99 front end for 100 on craigslist. I have spent more on the bike repairing it then i spent on it in the first place lol

Would not think your old springs would bend ? You might be able to reuse them

Would not think your old springs would bend ? You might be able to reuse them

I dont believe the springs are compatable. The 95 had 43mm forks and the 99 is 46mm. I didnt do much research but for some reason i seem to remember that they wernt the same. But in any case the 95 forks went to the scrap yard a while ago Edited by Atrus96