Sign in to follow this  

Starter Clutch

Bad link

IMHO

If the bike 'squeals' and spins the motor too slow to start, that's the pressed gears

If it 'clacks' or jumps when starting or ending the start, that's the starter clutch

• Like 1

If it's just the clutch, the one-way clutch pack and friction ring is what you will need.

If the housing is buggered up, you will need to resurface it or replace both parts.

Yeah. I knew that. It's the latter. I was just wanting to change both.

My question was if that's all the parts I needed.

The one way clutch and the pressed gears. (And the obvious gaskets)

I don't have time to tear it down just yet but want

to have the parts here when I do. I shouldn't need the outer clutch housing do I? How about that retaining clip, does that retaining clip go another round.

Edited by BolinJrsPit Crew

If it's just the clutch, the one-way clutch pack and friction ring is what you will need.

If the housing is buggered up, you will need to resurface it or replace both parts.

You type faster than me.

Ok I'll just get both then.

Yeah. I knew that. It's the latter. I was just wanting to change both.

My question was if that's all the parts I needed.

The one way clutch and the pressed gears. (And the obvious gaskets)

I don't have time to tear it down just yet but want

to have the parts here when I do. I shouldn't need the outer clutch housing do I? How about that retaining clip, does that retaining clip go another round.

I always replace the retaining clip as well...it's called a "friction ring"...

The clutch actuates between the inner and outer housings. They can be pretty f'ed up. Some emery cloth and elbow grease can usually clean them up.

I always replace the retaining clip as well...it's called a "friction ring"...

The clutch actuates between the inner and outer housings. They can be pretty f'ed up. Some emery cloth and elbow grease can usually clean them up.

I've done this job on about 9 or 10 TRX450s, which are apparently notorious for starter clutch failures. I've always replaced the outer housing. I didn't know you could get away with polishing them with emery cloth. Has this proven to be a reliable fix? These parts are expensive and this would definitely help keep costs down. Thanks for the tip Paul.....I mean Doc...

• Like 1

I've done this job on about 9 or 10 TRX450s, which are apparently notorious for starter clutch failures. I've always replaced the outer housing. I didn't know you could get away with polishing them with emery cloth. Has this proven to be a reliable fix? These parts are expensive and this would definitely help keep costs down. Thanks for the tip Paul.....I mean Doc...

Just really depends on how bad it is...small ridges? No worries, emery will take care of it. Huge gouges? replace...

• Like 1

Just really depends on how bad it is...small ridges? No worries, emery will take care of it. Huge gouges? replace...

I hate professional talk. Could you dumb that down for me?

• Like 2