Sign in to follow this  

89 honda xr250r oil issues

I am having issues with oil burning quickly. I see no leaks but it seems as soon as I put it in its gone. Oil level was great before last ride, went out for like a 20 mile maybe less yesterday and when I checked it this morning the level was not even readable on the dipstick doing the check the way my manual states by running it and then letting it sit and checking.  I have noticed oil residue on the exhaust.

This could be a number of things. Do you notice excessive smoking? My guess would be worn rings that are letting oil get by into your combustion chamber. New top end may be in order. Also could be leaking somehwere out of your cases. Do a leakdown test.

Edited by CR125-TAHOE

I put an ounce of Seafoam in my crankcase and I swear I am using less oil now.  I must have had dirty lifters or something.

It's not excessively smoking and seems to run pretty well otherwise.

Even at that, the bore could be completely worn out.  The other things to check/replace are valve seals.

You can get a false reading when the bike has been idling on the side stand since oil is accumulating in the head as some oil is not able to drain down the chainway.  Warm the bike and let it run standing vertical so the oil is not accumulating in the head.  Balance the bike vertical on level ground for your reading.

Checking the oil cold after it had run a bunch of oil into the tilted head will give a low reading.

• Like 1

It's not excessively smoking and seems to run pretty well otherwise.

like the guy above said, odds are that your bore is worn from excessive use. I would get it resleeved and get the approproate piston. No matter what the issue may be that bike is quite old and probably has hundreds of hours on that piston and bore. So a fresh cylinder and rings cant hurt. Edited by CR125-TAHOE