Sign in to follow this  

XR650R: Supermoto Rims/Tires Vs. Stock Rims With Street Tires

Hey all:

Currently, my xr650R is lowered and has street tires on it.

I am looking to have 

1) A set of stock rims with DOT Knobbies

2a) Supermoto rims/tires w/oversized brake rotors (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMOTO-WHEELS-WITH-TIRES-17-OVERSIZED-BRAKE-ROTOR-HONDA-XR-650-R-MOTARD-/261084399887?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc9d7c90f&vxp=mtr)

or 

2b) Another set of stock rims with DOT Street tires and oversized rotors

What do you all suggest? Buy a $1200 set of supermoto rims/tires/brakes and swap them on for street use, or buy two XR650R stock rims and add street tires/rotors to it?

Thanks!

Bob 

Well it all depends on what to want to do with bike and how much money you can spend! I you REALLY want to play Supermoto then set of 17in wheels are the way to go. Then if you want to go back to offroad swap wheels! If you want to go full Supermoto and not go back to offfroad then lace up 17in to stock hubs. Its all up to you and wallet! And better half if you got one! LOL

Oh man, Im happy I get to chime in on this one :) Just experienced this same deal with my 628...

I considered 17/17 sumo wheels, stock wheels, stock rear and a 19" laced up front.

Here are the reasons I went with a bone stock setup for the street.

-Typically the sumo wheel will have a larger rotor and caliper bracket, thats one more thing to swap when going from street to dirt.

-Dirtbikes with 17/17 wheels feel funny to me until the rear shock is shortened (which would kill off road perf), The head tube angle feels to steep.

-The cost for some clean oem wheels is likely half the price of a decent sumo setup. I got an xr400 front for free and a 650l rear on ebay for $300.

-I had previously ridden a bike on 18-21's with pirelli MT-90 tires and was blown away with the on street performance.

-The MT-90's are still decent enough on hardpack dirt to the point where I wont have to swap to the knobbies when just toying around locally, The bike is still a blast in the dirt when play riding, if I go camping or do a weekend of riding its definitely worth swapping out the wheels.

-If I ever decide that I want to go to a more DOT knobby for street, AND still keep some fresh off road only rubber on the dirt wheels.

Im sure that there are as many reasons to do a 17/17 setup... somebody else can speak up.

I really am not trying to tell you that its better for you, REALLY! But Im happy with my setup now. Pirelli MT-90's for street and Kenda Milleville II's for dirt only.

All that said, If you want sumo wheels and can afford them, do it. I rode a 650r with 17's and it was probably the most fun bike I've ridden on the street.

Best of luck!

On my 650L build I got set of CBR600 wheels then got two EBC 280mm front discs for a compromise better than stock but not to much for dirt that way just swap wheels. But now not doing it as brought home a 2013 KTM 990 SMT,

• Like 1

Thank you fellas!!!

I think I am going to go with two sets of XR650R rims (and oversized rotors)....one with DOT dirt knobbies, one with street tires for commuting.

Robert 

That way if you get a wild hair you can allways lace up some 17s to one set. Just remember you will have to gear up quite a bit for 17s. Check in net for gearing commander you put in allnthe info and then you can see what sprocket changes will do. You will need something like a Trail Tech speedo so you can change wheel sizes.

Also the term DOT aproved tires is false DOT does not test tires They have standerds that a tire needs to meet. And what the are load and speed ratings a tire is tested with load on it at max rated speed for a time period. Tire must hold up to that and the tire man do the testing. So say Dunlop will only go the testing on tires they want to sell as street tires. At one time the Dunlop 742 front Inermediate MX tire was DOT as they went through the testing BUT the rear was not! Go figure the one out! It has nothing to do with tread design. So unless you have police that checks that in your state we dont here in Fla. I only ride on street far enough to get to the dirt I run Dunlop Geomax MX51work great offroad and have went 105mph on road yes they get a little nervous but any full knobby will do that! And any Knobby will not last long on street DOT or not about 1500 miles if lucky. In Fla we have SAND so thats why I run them you up there in Maryland any hard pack MX tire would work good! Or the Dunlop D606 is good one and id DOT. The thing is a non DOT MX tire is cheaper because they dont spend money on DOT testing they have to do.

That way if you get a wild hair you can allways lace up some 17s to one set. Just remember you will have to gear up quite a bit for 17s. Check in net for gearing commander you put in allnthe info and then you can see what sprocket changes will do. You will need something like a Trail Tech speedo so you can change wheel sizes.

I'm a little confused by this...

If I have two sets of XR rims (street tires and dirt tires) with rotors/sprockets unique for both, where do 17's come into the equation? 

I'm a little confused by this...

If I have two sets of XR rims (street tires and dirt tires) with rotors/sprockets unique for both, where do 17's come into the equation? 

With two sets of XR wheels I was just saying if you wanted to go full SM you could take one set that has street tires and lace up some 17s IF you wanted to.

You could also get a 19 for the front, that is what I run.  Better on pavement than a 21, but better on dirt than a 17.  I got one off an NX250 from Ebay for $30, just needed new bearings.