Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Boulder/Larimer Co what's open?

Ok, so since the flooding most of our "trails" are now indefinitely closed; I'm talking Lefthand, Johnny Park, Storm Mt. etc.  But in the last couple weeks I've seen more than a handful of bikes in trucks and on trailers and even a couple Dual Sports (guys were decked in Off-Road gear rolling on Knobbies, not KLR/ADV bikes).  These have all looked like trail bikes not MX racers, and I'm assuming (maybe wrongfully so) that they're riding in the woods and aren't going to or coming form VDR or Erie...

I'm wondering, where the heck everyone is riding?  I just got my XR600 running right and would like to hit a few trails but I'm baffled on where to go.  Is there stuff open that I'm not aware about (near Boulder, Estes, FTC)? 

Edited by dukeryder

I'd like to know as well as I should be getting my WR250X switched over to dirt here soon and would like to explore some good trails around here. Though, I have seen quite a few people with trail bikes at VDR as of late . . . maybe because all the trails are closed?

As you mentioned, Lefthand is closed indefinitely because of flood damage. I rode from my house over to the West Magnolia trail heads yesterday -- Still off limits to motorized traffic because of snow melt. No idea of when they will open. Was able to ride a few miles at Winiger Ridge, but be forewarned -- the campers are already there and will likely be there in force from this weekend on.

I do most of my riding south of there as a rule,  and am guessing that Rollins Pass, Mammoth Gulch, and Central city in Gilpin County will probably be rideable this weekend.

What about the Bunce school road? Johnny Park is closed? Why would that be, there is no river by it. There is Johnny Park and the other that is right by it, cant think of the name. I just broke the top end  in on my yz250f and now I am ready for some trails as well.

What about the Bunce school road? Johnny Park is closed? Why would that be, there is no river by it. There is Johnny Park and the other that is right by it, cant think of the name. I just broke the top end  in on my yz250f and now I am ready for some trails as well.

I tend to ride in the Southern end of Boulder County, since that is where I live. The ONLY FS trails I've found open so far in the county is a few miles at Winiger Ridge -- which I believe requires a plate. 

That said, if you go to the Forest Service web site for the Boulder Ranger District, you'll find a fairly complete list of trail status:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5339508

They are very late this year in opening trails -- I suspect because of the fact that the mountains here were getting good snowfall as recently as last week in some places. Our bikes don't do much damage when it is wet like this but Jeeps and ATVs really tear up the soil -- so the FS just makes the trails off limits to every motorized user. 

I cannot imagine their keeping trails closed much later than May 15, but you never know -- we could have to wait until June to ride. 

Luckily my weekends are pretty busy this month. By the time I am ready to head out it will be end of May anyway. Will post up a ride day to see if anybody is available to hit a trail or 2. 

Good responses, but I guess the guys I've seen are either poaching stuff, riding private land or going to VDR.

According to the NFS website Bunce is closed (at least some of it).

Pierson Park is the other road you're thinking about.  I can ride out my front door and hit Johnny Park and Pierson; I'm hoping the closure is the normal "seasonal" one, but who knows they could milk this flood excuse for years and keep stuff closed... 

I cannot imagine their keeping trails closed much later than May 15, but you never know -- we could have to wait until June to ride.

Well if last year is any indication of what this year will bring you're hoping for about a month early (and last year we had no floods!).  Last year the Forest Service kept the gates at MSV, Pole Hill and Johnny Park closed until AFTER memorial day.  I ran into several really p!$$ed off campers last year on Memorial Day weekend that couldn't get up to some of the campsites on those roads. 

"Well if last year is any indication of what this year will bring you're hoping for about a month early (and last year we had no floods!).  Last year the Forest Service kept the gates at MSV, Pole Hill and Johnny Park closed until AFTER memorial day.  I ran into several really p!$$ed off campers last year on Memorial Day weekend that couldn't get up to some of the campsites on those roads." 

The trend is definitely to keep the motorized traffic off of wet trails. The Boulder FS Ranger District is probably more of an adherent to this strategy than most -- in part due to the flood damage, but I see it as a policy of being more attuned to what the County wants. Boulder isn't what I'd call an OHV-friendly community. 

Knowing that, I tend to do most of my riding south of Boulder County -- even though I live here.  For instance, I and a dozen other folks loaded the bikes up and made the 1 3/4-hour trip down to Divide  yesterday and rode the 717 system for 5 hours. Trails were largely dry, uncrowded and the gates were all open. 

I don't expect to see Lefthand open this year at all. 

Edited by mrgem