Sign in to follow this  

Bike dies under throttle?

I have an XR400 running a BSR42 carb. Runs good for the most part, I have the jetting close but not perfect.

Yesterday I stopped at a stop sign, and when I went to accelerate, it pulled for a couple seconds, then the bike bogged like someone pushed the kill switch or it ran out of fuel. I was able to nurse it a few feet with it stumbling and not running properly, then it completely died.

Kick started it and it immediately runs good again and hasn't done it since.

Any ideas what might do this? The wiring is all in good shape so I don't think the kill switch shorted out or anything. Maybe a piece of crud got sucked into one of the jets?

I'd hate for this to happen again when i'm making a left turn against traffic....

A couple months, but I ride the bike weekly so I don't think it's a clogged jet or crud buildup.

Just seemed weird the way it happened and corrected itself, I guess i'll pull the carb apart and see what I find. Maybe the slide stuck open?

I wouldn't pull the whole carb apart just see what's in the bottom of the float bowl.  Dieing and sputtering doesn't sound electrical.  Usually when electrical parts start to fail they won't self heal.

Edited by XR-rated