Sign in to follow this  

solo riding in the mountains

New to the dirt bike scene not to 2 wheels. Picked up a 07 yz450 about a month ago and can't put the thing down.I live on the base of the mountains and work evenings so the days are wide open . I understand the safety concerns but I want to get some riding hours in on these awesome sunny days. Any riders out there go on solo missions or daily rides?

There's been many threads about riding alone, safety issues, and how to prepare for mechanical problems in this sub forum as well as the Dual sport/Adventure sub forum.

The quick answer is a LOT of guys ride alone, some won't do it.  Use the search function and see if you can find those threads.  

( The search function is kind of sketchy. The last time I looked for something about my YZ, I found a recipe for brownies.)  

• Like 3

There's been many threads about riding alone, safety issues, and how to prepare for mechanical problems in this sub forum as well as the Dual sport/Adventure sub forum.

The quick answer is a LOT of guys ride alone, some won't do it.  Use the search function and see if you can find those threads.  

( The search function is kind of sketchy. The last time I looked for something about my YZ, I found a recipe for brownies.)

Mmmm brownies

• Like 1

New to the dirt bike scene not to 2 wheels. Picked up a 07 yz450 about a month ago and can't put the thing down.I live on the base of the mountains and work evenings so the days are wide open . I understand the safety concerns but I want to get some riding hours in on these awesome sunny days. Any riders out there go on solo missions or daily rides?

Me, I do higher deserts of California for 3 day trips solo.  Dangerous as all hell, but the way I figure it, what can't kill you makes you stronger.  You just have to keep your wits about you.  Always keep an online mental state of where you camp is, so if you break down, at least you have a good idea which direction to go.  Of course there is land marks too that help.  I've been riding pretty much in the same place for decades, so I know at any given time where I am and what direction to take if I need to walk.  Also, learn how to fall correctly.  I fall every time I ride, but unlike many here, I manage not to break any bones.  Maybe it's the soft sand, or just maybe, it's all the practice I've done falling in decades.  Make sure to always take provisions with you.  Mine are simple, water, Glock, cell phone, knife, and some matches to light a fire in case I get hurt where I can't walk.  I'm not encouraging to do it as I don't want to hear you got hurt because I said go for it, just be really careful.  Since you're by yourself, there's no need to prove anything or hot dog in front of others, take it slow, get to know the land you ride on, and take it up from there.  If you ride where you have mountain cats, paint a face on the back of your helmet so they don't jump you on a trail.  Basically, thread lightly until you're confident enough to speed things up.  Remember, when you go solo, that's it.  No guy with a yellow flag, no ambulance waiting on the side of a track, no convenience store around the corner.  Just you and plenty of miles to civilization.  I take my shit really seriously, specially riding solo.  Some shit like climb certain mountains I opt to just go the other way.  If I was with anyone, then I'd probably go crazy and not care, but when you're by your self, that's a whole different ocean.  Also helps to give the wife coordinates of where you'll be camping, and the radius of your riding.  Mine is about 20-30 miles from camp.  I venture no further, otherwise I find myself in Death Valley or at a Naval Gun range.  :devil: 

• Like 2

I've been looking for that thread.  Not only did I get some good tips on jetting, but a sure fire tasty recipe for brownies.  I've yet to find it again, so I'm on raisin cookies until then. +1 on what you said.  I've been riding solo for years, decades, and it's nothing to take lightly, specially if you ride a vast desert like I do where it's just as easy to run out of fuel trying to figure out which way to return back to camp, as it is avoiding under ground mine shafts that would swallow a bus without a trace.  The most important thing I've realized when riding solo is to always keep a mental note of what direction you are from your camp or nearest main road / land mark.  A few turns here, a few turns there, and in between mountains, and you're just as lost.  Here's a ticker, you're not sure, but have a good idea, and all the while you're keeping track of your fuel.  You continue to ride and your fuel continues to lessen, and you say to yourself, "where in the hell am I", only to finally locate a main road (hoping it's not a wash) and then run out of fuel.  This shit happens to me a lot, and I never learn.  Many of times, have I ended up running on vapors, to then have to abandon my rig and start walking.  Sometimes, it's just a 1/2 hour, sometimes, an hour, so far, hasn't been critical where I have 20 miles to trek and at the end of the day.  Knock on wood, but I'm prepared either way.   Riding solo isn't just a preference, it's an art, and if you don't know what the hell you're doing, you might as well order that casket before you load up and take off.  Most that personally know me think I'm out of my skull. When I plan out my 3 day desert trips, I take 20 gallons of fuel (and that's never enough), and I take a 10 gallon water container for general crap like washing up, and a 5 gallon water bottle for good measure, not to mention all the bottled water that's in my coolers, yep that would be 2 full coolers. I've got it down to where I work off a check list the day before I go riding.  When I realize I should of brought something else, that goes on the list and comes with me the next trip.  Lists are really helpful when you are basically preparing to survive for 3 days without civilization. :devil:

There was a guy in Florida who is a very fast A rider who practiced alone in the National Forest.  I think it was 2 years ago on Thanksgiving that he crashed bad out in the middle of nowhere.  He broke his pelvis among other things.  He was an orthopedic surgeon, and apparently knowing how to position his body is what saved him.  He laid in the woods in the cold for about 12 hours before some hunters found him.  Made me think twice about riding alone.

• Like 1

YZ490-devil, I agree &  that bugs me that a common thread like that & it can't be found again.  There WAS a lot of good info in there and the mod's are always saying "use the search function" but it doesn't work very well.  There was a whole other area about preparing for that mechanical problem that WILL happen eventually.  

• Like 1

Good info listed above. I live in the high desert and stay to known trails all within cellular range for the most part. It helps me get more familiar with the bike and not hold anyone up . Go at my own pace. I usually lay it down every time trying hills and figuring out gears . A lot different than the MTb and bmx . At least I learned how to fall from all the years of bmx spills .

• Like 2

There was a guy in Florida who is a very fast A rider who practiced alone in the National Forest.  I think it was 2 years ago on Thanksgiving that he crashed bad out in the middle of nowhere.  He broke his pelvis among other things.  He was an orthopedic surgeon, and apparently knowing how to position his body is what saved him.  He laid in the woods in the cold for about 12 hours before some hunters found him.  Made me think twice about riding alone.

you know. great story but florida does not get cold!

• Like 1

Thats so you can bake them on the exhaust, so when you're in the mountains alone you're not hungry.  :lol:

Maybe a different way to search for it would be through Google. I just typed in "thumpertalk riding alone" and a bunch of threads came up, that's how I usually search.

I saw someone else mention that.  Maybe I'll try that and only click on the hits from TT.

YZ490-devil, I agree &  that bugs me that a common thread like that & it can't be found again.  There WAS a lot of good info in there and the mod's are always saying "use the search function" but it doesn't work very well.  There was a whole other area about preparing for that mechanical problem that WILL happen eventually.  

It is pretty amazing that you can find a lot more on TT specifics via Google than the TT search.  What's up with that?  I realize it boils down to search engines if you want to find anything specific.  I stopped using TT's search months ago when I realized the list was endless when using Google.  Sometimes I go crazy looking for a thread I need to find only to finally give it up and just start a new topic.  For that very reason, I now keep all my notifications in email in a separate folder so I can use that too to lookup shit from months before without having to deal with search engines.  There are some really good posts on TT I've come across by in recent months that I also copy and paste onto documents, particularly those that are technical and have a wealth of information.  Some of you guys really know what the hell you're talking about, myself not included.  I tend more to be an asker and a joker from time to time and only offer experience whether it applies or not.  In other words, I'm more a windbag than a person that you could really come to and ask what kind of jetting to do or what tweaks to do on suspension.  I go with what I know from experience, but technical shit that comes out of the mouths of many here are priceless! :devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL
  • Like 1