Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 65 shopping. Hope to get a few questions answered.

I started shopping for a bike for my 7 yo to move too. Hes on a pw80 so hes not quite ready. Anyhow. I found an 01 on craigs for $600 that looks clean and an 04 on ebay that looks good but dirty, like with actual dirt. My question and thinking is that they prob would both be fine? I wondered if any real differences exist between motors or suspension. They have different plastic which makes me figure they updates the chassis same as the big bikes. But I'm not sure. Hoping someone can help. Thanks.

my 7yr old is on a kx65 that is detuned now. the post 2009 ktms have better motors from what i understand. the ktms do have better suspension but for a beginner my son isnt going to use up what the kx offers and i got our 07 for 750.00

Well I havent stumbled on anything that new for that low of a price. Seems a lot of people are aski g over a grand for a 10+ year old bike. Im in northern Ohio. This local guy hasnt responded still. His is the 04. Hope he does soon. What did you do to detune your son's? My boy hasnt learned manual clutxh but only one way to learn.

Stay away from a KTM 65 older than 02, imo.  From 02-08 they are all pretty similar and great bikes.  If he isn't an aggressive MX rider than the kx/rm65 is a good option but the forks absolutely suck without major work.  09+ KTM's have a power valve which is a crap system, imo and prone to failure.  The 03-08 KTM is a great bike and reliable if the basic maintenance is kept up on............

I ended up buying the 04. Same year as mine. Probably get so.e matching decals made. It runs good but the guy kept bragging about how he didnt have to do anything to it. In reality he did have to do stuff but didnt. The front brake doesnt work, probably minor, air slow leak whatever. The forks are about empty. I have to find out what fluid specs and levels are for this bike. But just needs seals im sure.

The good parts...the exhaust spooged so bad I ran it for less than 1 minute and it leaked on the floor in my van. I didnt check the air cleaner til I got it home and it was caked solid. :o. I brought it to work to steam clean. I go to pull the filter off to clean it and it crumbles. Now thankfully the inside of the boot was clean and it doesnt appear any holes were in the filter.

So the plan is to put a washer or something in the exhaust and to maybe cut the seat down. Anyone have experience with those things? Obviously the maintenance will come first and foremost but I need to button up his pw80, my cousin 50sx clutch and more of my ktm before I tear his apart. Any thing special to look for on these? Im pretty excited about it and didnt think I'd get it this soon but im glad its too big and sitng in the shop instead of hes almost too big and I dont have one.

as fast as kids grow i wouldnt want to cut the seat down only to have to replace it in the near future. if necessary i would try to use lowering links that you can put back to stock when he grows.

The ktm s dont have a linkage though. I havent decided what ill do on that. May just loosen the spring for the riding hell be doing and once he is comfortable getng moving.

Have fun with that front brake!  It isn't the same as your typical big bike these are mountain bike brakes & you will need to learn how to bleed them without tearing your hair out.  A good syringe is your friend.................

Thanks for the advice. I actually use a syringe to bleed the clutch I found that made it a little easier so I've got a few of them. I'm just trying to get some of these parts details sorted out before I go tearing into it and it's sitting in the bench in pieces while I figure this stuff out.