Sign in to follow this  

250 4 stroke maintenance

I'm looking to buy a 250 4 stroke this summer and im just wondering what sort of maintenance i would have to do if i'm not racing, i usually just rip through fields and the woods, with my 230 all i have to do is change the oil i'm wondering if a 250 would be the same since i'm not racing or riding it hard, thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I'm looking to buy a 250 4 stroke this summer and im just wondering what sort of maintenance i would have to do if i'm not racing, i usually just rip through fields and the woods, with my 230 all i have to do is change the oil i'm wondering if a 250 would be the same since i'm not racing or riding it hard, thanks in advance!

There will be a maintenance checklist in your service manual and owners manual . You will still need to service your bike accordingly racing or not. 

If u get a nice 250, it will go all summer with no valve adjustments or motor changes whatsoever, just oil changes and what have you... but if u get a lemon, expect more time kicking and wrenching, than riding. I honestly suggest u get a 250 2 stroke... more power for your fields, less maintenance, and a more fun ride. Oh and it will make you a better rider than that lame 250f!!

Edited by GWaddCustoms
  • Like 1

In my opinion the only people that should be buying 250fs are people that need one to race a certain class.  They require more maintenance than any other type of dirt bike, and the consequences of a lack of proper maintenance are likely to be expensive (even to the point of costing more than the bike is worth).  If you absolutely have to have a 4 stroke, get a 450.  You are unlikely to be stressing that motor very hard for your riding conditions.  In reality though, you will probably be much happier on a 2 stroke.  Your engine related maintenance for a season will be nothing more than keeping the air filter clean, and a couple of trans oil changes.   If you want something super light and flickable for the trails, get a 125.  If you want a lot of power and torque (way more than a 250f), get a 250 smoker.  KTM also has 150 and 200cc models.  I currently have a couple of 125s and a 250 (smokers).  If I'm riding for fun, there is no better choice than a 125.  When I race I usually choose the 250 because of my weight.

• Like 1

Shifting through all the gears, 1 to top, across a field, while on the pipe with the throttle wide open, on a 250 smoker, will bring a smile to your face every time. They simply haul ass and shifting in that sweet spot of the power band is the nicest feeling ever. Drop the clutch in the next gear while leaving it pinned, you will wonder why you ever even CONSIDERED getting a 250f

Id suggest a kdx200 for what your describing, anyone who has experience with many bikes and that type of riding, with the questions your asking, would suggest the same.