Sign in to follow this  

2011 kx250f will only bump start.

this is my second post regarding this issue just looking for some input from any others that may have had the same thing and some how sorted it out, trying to avoid the dealer at all cost. Anyways bought this bike new last year it has 40 hrs now valves checked at the 20 and 40 hr mark all in spec. oil + filter changed every 5 hrs, air filter every ride. pulled the thing out of the garage after winter with roughly 37 hrs put a new plug in new oil new gas kicked it and started fine have now only put 2 hrs riding and probably 1 more tinkering around trying to figure out why all of a sudden it wont start unless bumped. once it starts it runs fine , have only heard the it backfire maybe 3 times in its life. any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

this is my second post regarding this issue just looking for some input from any others that may have had the same thing and some how sorted it out, trying to avoid the dealer at all cost. Anyways bought this bike new last year it has 40 hrs now valves checked at the 20 and 40 hr mark all in spec. oil + filter changed every 5 hrs, air filter every ride. pulled the thing out of the garage after winter with roughly 37 hrs put a new plug in new oil new gas kicked it and started fine have now only put 2 hrs riding and probably 1 more tinkering around trying to figure out why all of a sudden it wont start unless bumped. once it starts it runs fine , have only heard the it backfire maybe 3 times in its life. any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

possibly auto decompression release. My be sticking

just checked that it seems to be moving freely yet i still have no life from the bike. only other question is if it bump starts and runs fine when running and valves are in spec is it safe to ride it? or am i still risking catastophic failure to have the bike going at all?

Are you using the fast idle/cold start to start it when cold ?

Try turning the throttle fully open when hot and kicking, if not starting with closed throttle.  

i do yes but that doesn't help at all, i feel like i want to put fuel injector cleaner in there and run it to see if that clears anything up as i have read the red no toil has clogged injectors before but i don't know if im risking doing something catastrophic to the engine or if because my valves are in spec i would be okay to run it for a bit?

No way no toil or any other filter oil can block an injector unless you pour it in the tank. 

Did you check the cam timing if it maybe jumped a tooth ?

its possible the valves are in measurement spec at the buckets, but are damaged or chipped and not sealing at the seats.