Sign in to follow this  

Klx 250s dual sport help please!

ok guys so i literally used thumper talk to to gain the info i needed in order to buy my first dirt bike, (KTM 200exc) now i have been looking into the world of dual sports and i am so excited about it, i plan to make my purchase within the next month if all goes as planned! but i am now stuck between 2 bikes, the Honda crf250l and klx250s. i was looking into a yamaha xt250 but they seem to weak, i dont want a wr250 because thats more than my car... ha i understand the crf and klx will be very similar in most ways, but im looking for info on how they are different! i will be riding it to work and what not and will still use my 200 as my trail bike, but i love the prospect of cruising at 45 very comfortably and seeing a dirt road and being able to dip off and follow it. 

honda crf250l- it is super heavy from what i have heard which i dont want bc my 200 is incredibly light

klx doesnt have fuel injectiong which worries me being in SW mo we have some crazy weather and it can be 75 and sunny one day then snowing the next, so the klx and the carb idk how well that will go, if i was sure it wouldnt ever be a problem and it would start 1st or second try every time no matter conditions i would have already gotten the klx.. ( green and black are thing..) haha so i am down to these 2 bikes, only 600$ differenc... 

another huge factor would be mods! i hear the klx can be decked out pretty easily and cheaply to give it an extra 5-8 hp and probably take the weight down even more, other forums have said the klx will do 100mph with a few mods, not really a concern for me since the fastest street will be 60mph for a mile or so, but damn is the klx really that fast? i know the klx is more dirt oriented but i mean its still made for the road right? lol 

please give me just a little advice, this will probably sway my opinion greatly and i might end up with a new bike in the garage quicker than i thought lol

thanks to all!

My 07 klx always starts for me, and I had her up to 130kph stock and I'm not a light rider (220lb) no mods aside from 90% dirt tires and I go everywhere on it, but, it is bad for extended roads, more then 40 mins and you'll not like it much.

thanks! why after 40 miles would i not like it much? just get uncomfortable or what? do you do anything unique to make sure it starts every time?  or just the proper care that is needed for every bike

ok i have a 2009 klx250s lined up for 2800, should i strike? lol 

Vibration is hard to take for so long so after an hour of highway speeds your hands start to go numb. And I don't really do anything special to maintain it it's just reliable.

Well - having a 09 KLX with injection and all, I can only root for it.

Touring-ability is more limited by the seat than by vibrations; seat has about the same comfort as a 2x4 from the local lumber yard at the start of the season, but it gets softer after a while.....or your but toughens up ;o) (actually you can experience the same on a bicycle).

The injected model is limited in 4. 5. and 6. gear, but extremely easy to bring up to full power. In that state it will go 130 km/h according go GPS on a good day - 120 on an average day.

Being about 90 kg's / 1,85 m it fits me very well - inseam of about 32" gives more than full foot-to-earth contact on both sides simoultaneous. Sitting tall and upright is perfect for the urban jungle ;o) Can be a bugger on highway, though, especially in windy conditions.

Road contact is surprisingly good on the stock Dunlop (AFAIR) tyres; knobbies, but I have only once experienced it to slide a little over the front wheel going into a left hander in an intersection. Had the bike for a week or so at that point, so perhaps the tyres was not fully broken in yet. Done about 11 TKM since '10 and they are still alive - for a shorter while yet. Would by same tyres again !

All in all: I would also by same bike again ;o)

Well I have my eyes on a 2009 klx250sf with 8,000 miles for 2,800$ Is that a good deal? Will this bike run Til 30,000 miles with good care?

If it was here in Denmark I'd say "Buy it !".

Bought mine new in 2010 at a dealer on something as unusual here as a sale - unusual for cars and bikes, that is.

Due to our taxation on vehichels, it is very rare to see on new vehicles; we pay import price + 180% tax + 25% VAT (only of some of the 225%).

Thus I paid 39.995 DKK for it, rate today is 5.45 DKK per Dollar....around $ 7.350 - beat that !

But at that time I knew that if the next year model would come here to DK - it would be at DKK 58.000, so I gathered that "this is now or never" - I was not going to pay another DKK 28.000 for it. (Total would be $ 10.650....)

But this note just to tell You that I'm definately not the right guy to ask if as US-price is fair or not ;o)

Hmm - but the extra "f" in the model name indicates it's a motard-version with the smaller wheels.

That could easily make the handling much different from mine - I'm rolling on the enduro-wheels....

I have a 2012 KLX250s and I am really enjoying the bike. Does not have the power of the 450 that I used to ride, but I'm ok with that these days. It's a great bike for the money. I passed on a WR and KTM because their high prices are silly.

I hear removing the airbox lid, adding a stage 2 dynojet kit and a FMF Q4 exhaust makes a solid 15% improvement in power.

Can anyone verify the power increase the combo of three mods? I might spend the money but don't want to do it for only a nominal gain.

arrow,

I have the Q4, Megabomb, Stage 2 Dynojet (128 main jet + needle), and the snorkel removed.

I think it's about a 20% improvement in power. A few weeks ago, I totally smoked a friends WR250R from a red light.
That's just peak power near max RPM. At moderate RPMs, where you actually ride, it's much more than 15 or 20%.

The bike really comes alive. And on the highway, less stuttering and popping, and no pop-pop-pop on decel.

The exhaust is ~$550. Most of it is probably in the muffler itself, but mine all went on at once, so I can't say. The jetting

kit is $50, and is essential if you upgrade the exhaust and open the airbox. Removing your airbox snorkel is free.

Your bike will run cooler, be less cold-natured on startup (less choke needed), and be more fun. On the minus side, your mileage will drop by about 20%

www.kawasakiforums.com

Come on over and we will answer all your questions.  Tell them Deej sent you.  ;)