Sign in to follow this  

Removing bars for small trailer

So after having moved to the UK 5 years ago, I finally was able to pick up a dirt bike to get back in the game. Unfortunately, due to small roads in my area and a tight budget, I was limited in choice of trailer size. I needed an enclosed trailer for the sake of not letting some of the local kids see what I'm hauling around, and the one I picked up for a VERY good price is just barely too short for my bike (4ft height inside, I run high handlebars on a yz250). I can fit it in perfectly if I take the handlebars out of the mounts and let them rest on the fuel tank. Any reason (other than it being a bit of a PITA) why this would be a bad idea? I strap the bars down to the tank so that no strain is put on the cables etc, just looking for some reassurance that this would be a decent way to get the bike around.

I don't go far, the tracks I ride at are all within 30-45 drive. getting the bike into the trailer this way is not difficult, and I have built a brace for the front wheel and strap down either side at the frame (directly behind the carb), so it's pretty stable without the typical 'tie-downs to handlebar' approach.  

I've also considered removing the top altogether and just running a stretch fit tarp over the trailer. What do you guys think? 

p.s.- I'd appreciate the "buy a bigger trailer" type of advice being kept to a minimum  ;)  lol

Edited by Porkchop Sandwich

I see no reason this would hurt the bike in any way, more of a pita than anything though.  Maybe get a holeshot device to keep the forks compressed? Just for the sake of saving time and the piece of mind that your bike is in a fully enclosed trailer.

Have you just tried loosening up the bar clamps and just rotating the bars?

no reason you can't take the bike compleatly apart and drive it to the track, then reasemble the parts into a bike and ride.

just remember to tighten all the nuts and bolts.

• Like 1

You can use a strap running from the bars to the front axle to compress the forks as another option. 

Already considered this, but I can't think of a secure way to strap them without affecting front wheel movement (still need to roll her in to the trailer in the first place. 

Have you just tried loosening up the bar clamps and just rotating the bars?

Yes, doesn't quite give enough clearance as the levers/handguards rotate up and in the way if I rotate back, and the sweep angle of the bars makes them higher if I rotate forward. 

I see no reason this would hurt the bike in any way, more of a pita than anything though.  Maybe get a holeshot device to keep the forks compressed? Just for the sake of saving time and the piece of mind that your bike is in a fully enclosed trailer.

actually did consider the holeshot device, I'll have to pick one up and see what I think. I also don't want to keep the forks compressed if there's no need, so I guess it depends on how much I need to compress them to make it work. For now I'm happy removing the bars. I imagine I'll get tired of it after a while though  :rolleyes:

Already considered this, but I can't think of a secure way to strap them without affecting front wheel movement (still need to roll her in to the trailer in the first place. 

Well I,m not sure on your yz ,but it worked on my crf.

Well I,m not sure on your yz ,but it worked on my crf.

Tested this out today and it seems that this will just barely get it squeezed in without rubbing the throttle housing, thanks for the help! I'll probably still go bars off for longer trips for the sake of my fork seals, but for quick trips to the local track I think this will work just fine!  :ride:

• Like 1