Sign in to follow this  

My 450 feels like adog

I have a 2012 450 xc-w. It has a full fmf megabomb exhaust. The bike just feels like a dog to me. What can I do to get some power out of this thing?

Saw on another post that your a pretty big guy. Maybe take a look at the gearing. Running a 14/52 or 13/50 would be good.

Is the bike well maintained? clean air filter, good gas. lubed chain?

You're a good candidate for a 525 or 530 or newer 500.

I ride with some pretty big guys (275 lbs) and they do great on 450EXC's

Good suspension will also make bike work better.

What do you mean when it feels like a dog? Have you ridden one?

The bike is very well maintained. I am going to try changing the gearing around. I did come from riding a crf450r which had tons of power. I know the ktm is an enduro and three crf is an mx bike. I just always feel like I'm looking for more power with the ktm. It's a real struggle to get the front wheel up in third gear. This is my first Ktm

I think what you mean is that it feels like a pig.

Chihuahua or St. Bernard???? 

• Like 1

Yeah, remaping the ecu is a good one. That FMF should have helped quite a bit in my opinion. Also, try changing the sprockets by going one or two teeth up on the rear and mabey 1 smaller on the front. From my understanding, the xc has a wider ratio transmission. Its completely different from the sx.

Yeah, remaping the ecu is a good one. That FMF should have helped quite a bit in my opinion. Also, try changing the sprockets by going one or two teeth up on the rear and mabey 1 smaller on the front. From my understanding, the xc has a wider ratio transmission. Its completely different from the sx.

XCW and XC are completely different bikes... A standard XC trans is much like a SX trans...

This bike does have a lot wider trans. I'm going to change the gearing around this week. I have not done anything to the ecu because I have been reading things on here that say the ecu on these bikes are locked out and it won't work

So I went on a 50 mile ride over the weekend and I grew pretty fond of the bike. It it's really fun to ride and it's extremely controllable. I am still looking for a little more snap so I just ordered a 52t rear sprocket.

So I went on a 50 mile ride over the weekend and I grew pretty fond of the bike. It it's really fun to ride and it's extremely controllable. I am still looking for a little more snap so I just ordered a 52t rear sprocket.

i run 13/51 on my 07 450.  before i did that i was very unimpressed with the power. 

i am happy now though.