Sign in to follow this  

Starts, Idles fine but dies w/ any throttle. XR650 1994

On a nice cool April morning last week I was cruisin along at 55mph on my way to work. Pulled the clutch, down shifted for the turn-off and when I released the clutch she starts to stall like I was out of gas. I had just filled up in town, 20 miles away but I switched to reserve anyway and nothing. I down shift again and its fine. Give her some throttle and she dies. Finally on the side of the road she sat idling but again every time I crack the throttle even a hair, she dies. I tried pulling the choke in a wee bit as I roll on the throttle and she built up some RPMs but not enough power to take off or too many RPMs to pop it in first. WTF People? Ever heard of this? 

I have the carb apart and everything is Kosher, The vacum lines look good.

Need some help here and please don't say "go buy..." as I am in the mountains with only a good shop at my disposal.

More info

Bone stock xr650l with all the Cali smog stuff that has to stay till I get it inspected.

Sat for a year before I got it. CV Carb looks as good as the day I put it back together.

I did run her full tilt boogie a couple times before I got to the turn-off but that was nothing new.

Gonna drain the tank, put the carb back in and try it again.

Don't know..If the carbs good..Electrical..Maybe the ignition coil,,maybe the CDI,,maybe.. :thinking: ,,

But yeah,,Check for some sort of gas flow..Pull the airboot off and shoot some ether in there,,If it seems to want to

run with that I'd say fuel..If not,,?

Edited by Horri

Prologue:

She ran fine but idled high so I turned the idle screw down as far as I could so that it would occasionally stall at a stop light then turned it back up a scoche. Still good. Then I removed the insert from the stock muffler to deepen the sound & reduce back pressure. Then it started backfiring at the first stop sign leaving the house but still ran fine and felt like it had more power in the bottom and top end.

Now:

Checked the oil (Honda's have low oil shut off switches right?), half way up the stick. I took the carb off yesterday; pulled the bowl, slide & jets. Everything looked fine but I cleaned everything up. The little jet is a 50. That is the idle jet? I put a wire from a wire brush through it a few times and swirled it around. The other jet, the one the needle slides into, looked fine. Before I put her back together I drained the tank because this happened 20 miles after a refuel. Gave her fresh fuel and she fired right off. I cracked the throttle and she sounds fine. Revs up and purrs.

WTH?

How can a busy service station have bad gas? Or can a tiny piece of junk I couldn't even see plug the high speed jet enough to kill the engine instantly when I crack the throttle?

Alternatives?

Running wide open, full tilt boogie caused...?

I did not try starting her up when I got to work yesterday after she sat for a week so I can't rule out over heating of a hot CDI except that its still about 50F in the mornings. Every time I think "It can't be that!" I am usually wrong though.

Your pilot jet was plugged........the wire cleaned the crap out...likely stirred up crap at fill up that was already was in the tank..a grain of sand or smaller will disable a carb in short order..

B

No such thing as any low oil shut off switch on any RFVC engine as far as I'm aware..No good relying on such a thing

to indicate some low oil problem..false/incorrect..The low oil shut off switch is when the bike seizes..Least it's going now..good news.

When's the unveiling of the bling machine Brian..??,,Summers here, valuable time is being wasted.. :devil:

Edited by Horri

No such thing as any low oil shut off switch on any RFVC engine as far as I'm aware..No good relying on such a thing

to indicate some low oil problem..false/incorrect..The low oil shut off switch is when the bike seizes..Least it's going now..good news.

When's the unveiling of the bling machine Brian..??,,Summers here, valuable time is being wasted.. :devil:

I`m mostly done......just gotta take some pics,,clean up a few things.. :rolleyes:

B