Sign in to follow this  

Frame painting

I'm thinking on turning my bike into a street bike for a fun project in the future, I'm just wondering how it would turn out if I sandblasted my frame and then used a quality metal spray paint instead of powder coating it. I wouldn't have to worry about rocks or anything scratching it because I would only ride on the road. Anyway, would this work and most importantly LAST? If I were to do it I would put many coats on as well.

Thanks

It's all in the prep work and drying time

• Like 2

So if I sandblasted, prepped it and dried it all properly how would it hold up?

im curious as to WHY you want to turn a DIRTbike into a STREETbike?

that is somewhat sarcastic but with good reason

do you mean a supermoto? even then... why not just buy a street bike?

im just confused on this craze...

im curious as to WHY you want to turn a DIRTbike into a STREETbike?

that is somewhat sarcastic but with good reason

do you mean a supermoto? even then... why not just buy a street bike?

im just confused on this craze...

Yes like a supermoto, but mostly because I want a cool project to do. It's just a thought anyway, not sure yet.

My favorite topic.  As I'm never in hurry for anything, and have plenty of bikes to ride, when I restore my rigs, I sand blast the entire frame, then spend about an hour getting all the sand out, do what ever welding needs to be done, then it goes to paint.  I don't like spending money on anything specially powder coats where I'd rather spend my money on gas to burn instead, so I just use high temp engine enamel. I give it two full coats, sometimes three if I have paint left over, and since I'm never really in hurry, the frame sits in a warm garage for weeks before I do anything other than lay out the electrical. If you don't let the paint dry fully, you're just wasting your time and money.  The hard coats I have on my frames take everything the desert throws at it and it holds just fine.  Would never do it any other way.  Now if I could only get better and finally finish my IT490.  Guess I couldn't upload a picture, look at the next post. :devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

Spray it good with an epoxy primer first then paint away . prep all your metal and primer with wax and grease remover before applying paint . Even fingerprints will cause orange peel . If you want it super slick. Rustoleum is about the best rattle can paint you can get . As said above your prep work makes a paint job .