Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450's

Im looking at some ktm 450's,

What are the best years?

What should I specifically look for, ie (specific year model issues).

I know a lot of people here own these, just need some advice. So far I'm

Looking at 2- 04's 3- 06's 1-08

The one 04 and one 08 are best deals but what's the general opinions?

Im looking at some ktm 450's,

What are the best years?

What should I specifically look for, ie (specific year model issues).

I know a lot of people here own these, just need some advice. So far I'm

Looking at 2- 04's 3- 06's 1-08

The one 04 and one 08 are best deals but what's the general opinions?

what are you riding know?

I would get the newest one if it's clean I've herd the motors are sweet power. Maybe jump on ktm talk.

• Like 1

i think the 04 and 06 still had the rfs motor which is known as being one of the most reliable 450 motor out there! the next couple years after that had some oil pump issues. do some research on rfs and which years had the oil pump issues.

• Like 1

what are you riding know?

I would get the newest one if it's clean I've herd the motors are sweet power. Maybe jump on ktm talk.

I've got a 440 2stroke.

But I'm looking at the

Street legal 4t's.

• Like 1

Well I did a search. Seems ktm's are ruining peoples abilities to post problems of their ktm 450's.

Or

They must be rock solid!

The 08 is the best outta all those years. The 4spd is a bitch though....

I like that chassis better than the new one too even though the linkage is nice on the new stuff
  • Like 1

The 08 is the best outta all those years. The 4spd is a bitch though....

No street legal KTM's came with the 4 speed. SX only for the 4 speed.
  • Like 2

Yep, crossed over to the dark side!

Here's how my day went.

Got up and went to Krw Cycles to check out this bike again. The fine folks there made me a smoking deal. They even took time to go over the bike completely with me, even though they were very busy.

2 1/2 hrs later I was on my way.

I got back home, went to fine tuning the bike for me. Set sag, checked over all the fasteners.

Cleaned air filter.( just to be safe)

Then I'm off to go riding.

I arrived at the park. Unloaded and started off to the woods, ( boy this bike is different)

Kept flaming out in tight areas and downhills. Felt like I was back on my old yz400 or my wr426. But glad I had the magic button!

Then all the sudden the rear brakes locked up.

So I'm thinking I picked up a rock, nope. Kept pumping the pedal, no change. I ride back to the truck and found the pedal adjuster backed out, jamb nut was missing. Lol

I missed that on check out. Lmbo. I wrapped it up with tape, so I could finish the day out. Worked OK after readjustment.

Two other riders there joined me in a trail ride, 1 drz400, 1 89 yz250.

It was refreshing to ride with a couple old boys that could ride a good pace. I admit I was a bit nervous about the bike, but the KTM held its own, it was the drz that ruined off road today!

Old boy cross rutted and wiped out hard, knocked the shifter shaft inwards jambing up the gears, we pulled it apart and fixed it once then it let go again later, we called it a day after that. Got 5 good hours of riding in. I only used about 1 1/2 gallons of gas. I then realized no need for spare gas can. Lol

This huge desert tank holds a bunch. Anyhow, what I need to know is who makes a quiet silencer for this bike. This thing will make your ears ring. It has a Big gun exhaust. So could I use a different silencer without replacing the pipe? & who makes quietest silencer?

Any suggestions?

I won't add any rekluse comments just yet, jury is still out on that one!

• Like 1

The FMF q4 should be a lot quieter around 96Db, it should be fine with the stock header.

Thanks.

Today's ride went great, had to drop test the bike twice on greasy hillsides.

Lol

• Like 1

The flaming out is due to the auto decompressor kicking in at lower revs. Adjust the idle up higher. My SX does the same thing

• Like 1

Today's ride went great, had to drop test the bike twice on greasy hillsides.

Lol

So did you and the bike pass?

Mike

The flaming out is due to the auto decompressor kicking in at lower revs. Adjust the idle up higher. My SX does the same thing

I was wondering if that would help. Just figured, that was why they put the magic button on.

Lol

That's been my biggest problem getting used to this bike.

Engine braking sucks.

Coming into turns letting off and it almost stops. Like wth?

Try and coast down hills it slides the tire. Lmbo

Once I thought I was going over the bars on a steep downhill. I learned to just gun it. Only two hills I failed on, one was a 180 uphill out of a creek with roots and rocks at 4' up clay and sand at water line. I had it till I hit the rocks on an angle front slid out.

Second was misjudged, not enough momentum for the step at top. Dropped it and slid back down.