Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Lever Struggle

So far I replaced the clutch lever with a new OEM one, since the old one had quite a bit of play. Then I cut it shorter so I could actually use it, it was barely fitting my handguards. 

Just cut it again because it was hurting my knuckles. I use two fingers on the clutch when I want control. One when I am just feathering the clutch in the corners for instance. When I use two fingers I feel like I have to pull all the way to the handlebar. Could not find shortie levers for my 06 WR250f.

However, I still feel like I am struggling finding a good position of my hand so I can clutch predictably and repeatable. I have relatively long fingers. See pics.

What options do I have? 

Clutch 025.JPGClutch 026.JPGClutch 027.JPGClutch 029.JPG

Edited by meWR250f

I know ASV makes levers that allow you to adjust the angle that they default to. As well as easily adjust the travel, I couldn't tell you how well they work as I haven't really encountered this problem but they might be worth a look.

In my opinion, that lever is simply too short.

My favorite:

Remove the stock lever and perch.

Buy a new OEM (genuine Yamaha parts) perch (it comes in pieces, so order them all) perch from a 2003 XT-225R (will come with the hole needed to hold your clutch lockout switch).

Buy an OEM clutch lever from a 1982 XT-550J.

This is an old-school perch, so there is no on-the-fly cable slack adjuster, just the type with an adjust bolt and lock nut.

You will probably need to modify the WR hot start perch to fit onto the XT-225R clutch lever perch, or mount it separately just to the side of the clutch perch as I have done.

Result:

Best feel I've experienced with clutch levers.

Edited by YZEtc

I think what you are looking for is a different angle on the lever... is that correct?

If so, then that is very easy to fix.

The lever metal is soft and malable. I have easily bent my levers to the angle I wanted by slipping a 1" water pipe over the end and sliding it up to the bend. Then by placing my hand at that point and holding it there, push on the pipe end and bend the lever out to where I want it. If I don't go far enough, I bend more. Too much, then I bend it back.

CAUTION: The purch is also soft and will break, so you have to be careful when doing this. That's why I put one hand on the pipe to steady it at the bend in the lever, to help take the pressure off/reduce the pressure on the purch.

Also, It may be necessary to temporarily remove or rotate the hand guards to give you room to move around.

You got nothing to loose since you have another lever to practice on... LOL

• Like 1

Thanks all, great stuff

@Charlie 755 Just looked on Amazon and they do not carry Sunline clutch levers for WRs, just YZ. 

@ronbuell, amazing how soft that material is. I have bent it in an arch so it does not crush my knuckles any more. I will report back on how it works

20140503_214556.jpg20140503_214636.jpg

@YZEtc - I will look-up the parts

@Frecky B - I will look them up. Kind of expensive though

Edited by meWR250f
  • Like 1

Thanks all, great stuff

@Charlie 755 Just looked on Amazon and they do not carry Sunline clutch levers for WRs, just YZ.

@ronbuell, amazing how soft that material is. I have bent it in an arch so it does not crush my knuckles any more. I will report back on how it works

attachicon.gif20140503_214556.jpgattachicon.gif20140503_214636.jpg

@YZEtc - I will look-up the parts

@Frecky B - I will look them up. Kind of expensive though

Sunline does sell them I had to go into a dealership and have them look them up. I could not find them online.