Sign in to follow this  

KX125 shift issues

New old bike for my son, 97 kx.  Bought it as a project, looks like I'm about to get up close and personal with it. 1st bike. I'm a snowmobile guy never tore into a bike and I get the feeling I'm about to learn some things.  The bike has a new piston, the seller gave me the box it came in and obviously the engine has a new top end as new gaskets are visible throughout the motor. It started and was nice and peppy however the clutch cable was off. The bike had been put mostly back together and the seller ended up moving to other projects over the years and never finished it and also lost some various bits and pieces. For instance the drive sprocket was missing the circlip, the rear wheel was forward not adjusted chain slack. Muffler, no mounting dampeners etc.... I put the clutch cable back on but the bike won't easily shift, I can get it into first (bike not running) but it is as if the clutch does nothing, When it is running and you put it in first gear it dies immediately, kills it.  It takes a LOT of fussing to get it to go in gear and I can only find 1st , neutral and 2nd but despite trying I never find any gears above that.  When I put it in first the clutch has no effect. I drained the fluid and it looked ok. ODD thin don't know my terminology well yet so bear with me, I pulled off the clutch side cover to reveal the basket and clutch plates, there is a faceplate or pressure plate with 4 bolts and springs yes.....well 3 bolts and springs, the fourth was missing, I know there should be 4 but only three bolts and springs present. Wheres the 4th bolt?  I dunno.  The basket is grooved pretty deeply. When you apply the clutch due to the missing bolt and spring it sort of cocks funny in the basket. I pulled off the faceplate removing the 3 bolts/springs and took out the clutch plates. I don't see any room inside there to loose a bolt and a spring so I assume whoever had it apart before me forgot one, or perhaps there is something really really wrong with it and just put it back together again sloppily to sell it off?  I imagine I need to pull the engine and break it all down yes? Is there any type of inspection or something I can do like take the basket out and look deeper?  What's next?

When you change gears is the gear leaver returning back central. If the spring it on properly and the gear leaver doesn't return back to Central you won't be able to select the next gear.

Yes there should be 4 springs on the clutch and they can't come out by themselves. If they did they would cut into the clutch cover. I would check and make sure the thread for the 4 the bolt isn't striped and get a new spring and bolt. Also look at the fingers on the clutch basket. The fingers are where the tabs on the clutch plates sit to stop them turning with the steel plates. If there is deep grooves in there this will affect how the clutch disengages as well. You can use a file to cleanup,the grooves if they aren't to bad

Edited by Wnut

I filed the basket down and bought a bolt and spring. Started and ran but it won't stay in first unless you press and hold it down and it acts like it's got a major issue.  Ordered a manual I assume there is no adjustment for BROKEN eh?

I can also hear that something isn't turning smoothly inside not a squeal or rattle, hard to describe - a rumble maybe......probably a bad bearing somewhere. Not sure. I'll pull the motor off and start the disassembly as far as I can go until I get the manual.  Any tips or opinions thus far would be welcome.  THANKS.