Sign in to follow this  

Book value vs actual price

I've been searching high and low for a used bike. I'm having trouble finding something in my area. I have a kind of low budget, I'm looking for a 2000-2003 CR250 or CR125. I'm just looking to get an opinion from others as far as "book value". The book value of these bikes on the trade in value is, $800-$1000, and retail value from $1200 to $1400. (My numbers may be off a little) From what I'm finding people are asking about $800-$2000 over book value. Occasionally I see some priced somewhat in the range of book value but haven't been able to score one yet. So I guess my question is, is it normal to be that much over book value, or should the priceicon1.png of a used bike be close to it?         

Book value dose not mean much, it really depends on the market in your area and what people are willing to pay. If bikes are selling way over book value, that's what people will be asking. 

those years cr250 are very sought after. Ive found book values on dirtbikes to be pretty useless except for the occasional buyer to give you an offer that's wayy off of what something will sell for and say "but the trade in value!"

I've been searching high and low for a used bike. I'm having trouble finding something in my area. I have a kind of low budget, I'm looking for a 2000-2003 CR250 or CR125. I'm just looking to get an opinion from others as far as "book value". The book value of these bikes on the trade in value is, $800-$1000, and retail value from $1200 to $1400. (My numbers may be off a little) From what I'm finding people are asking about $800-$2000 over book value. Occasionally I see some priced somewhat in the range of book value but haven't been able to score one yet. So I guess my question is, is it normal to be that much over book value, or should the priceicon1.png of a used bike be close to it?         

Not sure, but will say, too bad you're not out here in California.  If you're looking for smokers, they are a dime a dozen here and book value is meaningless.  You can find some pretty good deals on smokers as low as $100, no shit.  I know, I buy them every time I see them for sale.  If you're mechanically inclined, you might set your sights down a little and find something from the 90's and fix it up yourself.  Or you could always check the neighboring states too.  A two hour drive to the county line is always worth a few hundred dollars. :devil:

Not sure, but will say, too bad you're not out here in California.  If you're looking for smokers, they are a dime a dozen here and book value is meaningless.  You can find some pretty good deals on smokers as low as $100, no shit.  I know, I buy them every time I see them for sale.  If you're mechanically inclined, you might set your sights down a little and find something from the 90's and fix it up yourself.  Or you could always check the neighboring states too.  A two hour drive to the county line is always worth a few hundred dollars. :devil:

That's great, $100! I've been looking in surrounding states also, but I don't want to go more than about 2 hours away. I'm on Long Island and there is no where to ride here. So I guess the picking are getting slimmer and slimmer. They are out there, but not a whole lot. And when you see a nice one they are pricing at $2200-$2500. Then I would check the book value and it's only $1300. But from what others are saying they don't really go by book value. The most I want to spend is like $1800. Then I have to buy gear after that. Guys are selling 2 stroke 125's with blown engines for $1200. Something has to pop for me soon

That's great, $100! I've been looking in surrounding states also, but I don't want to go more than about 2 hours away. I'm on Long Island and there is no where to ride here. So I guess the picking are getting slimmer and slimmer. They are out there, but not a whole lot. And when you see a nice one they are pricing at $2200-$2500. Then I would check the book value and it's only $1300. But from what others are saying they don't really go by book value. The most I want to spend is like $1800. Then I have to buy gear after that. Guys are selling 2 stroke 125's with blown engines for $1200. Something has to pop for me soon

Good luck and keep at it.  You might want to consider buying and shipping too.  You'd have to have a good buddy somewhere, then probably spend just as much shipping it, so I can see your dilemma.  Like I said earlier, you'd shit if you saw what smokers are going for out here in California.  I saw a KX500 the other day for only $600.  It didn't last long, but it was there for the picking.  Most 125's in the 80's and 90's are pretty cheap too, but it's when you get into 2000's that people get ridiculous with pricing not because of blue book value, but because they spent an arm and a leg buying them and want to get as much money out of them to upgrade to something (I'll say nicer not so much better).  You'll find some good deals in CT if you're willing to drive a few hours to get there.  I mean, might as well and you'll end up saving more than $500 or even more and only spend a couple of hundred in gas. Here's a 125 in Bridgeport just asking to be bought. :devil: 

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/4395518474.html

Found this one last night i thought of rescuing , Needs a top end and some cleaning up but if you can get it cheap enough . Been neglected i feel bad for the lil' fella. I could have it looking and running sharp in 3 weeks just don't have the extra funds now.      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-01-honda-cr125-cr-125-/131177207607?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8ac55737&vxp=mtr

Edited by Beau 88

Just remember when buying a bike. They need to sell it more than u want to buy it. Look at the ones this have been listed a long time. And don't sound excited. There's a difference between what there asking and what there going for. If u find one that's been n there a long time there probably ready to get rid of it and fixer uppers. Before u buy add up what the parts r going to cost u and if u can't do the work the labor cost. Like a chain and sprockets and top end on 2 stroke your looking at 250. So it adds up and sometimes fork seals. Then u add n fluid. Sometimes u come out good. And sometimes u might have 3 in a 1500 bike.

Around here (upstate NY) I have seen that bikes typically sell for less than the blue book value. Don't pay more than $1400 for an 11 year old bike, no matter what the condition. I just bought a mint 07 yz250 for $1600.

Edited by KJ790
  • Like 1

Good luck and keep at it.  You might want to consider buying and shipping too.  You'd have to have a good buddy somewhere, then probably spend just as much shipping it, so I can see your dilemma.  Like I said earlier, you'd shit if you saw what smokers are going for out here in California.  I saw a KX500 the other day for only $600.  It didn't last long, but it was there for the picking.  Most 125's in the 80's and 90's are pretty cheap too, but it's when you get into 2000's that people get ridiculous with pricing not because of blue book value, but because they spent an arm and a leg buying them and want to get as much money out of them to upgrade to something (I'll say nicer not so much better).  You'll find some good deals in CT if you're willing to drive a few hours to get there.  I mean, might as well and you'll end up saving more than $500 or even more and only spend a couple of hundred in gas. Here's a 125 in Bridgeport just asking to be bought. :devil:

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/mcy/4395518474.html

There is CR500 for sale somewhere around here for $8300, guy said he paid $11,000. It's in nice shape but I've seen nicer for $5000 on ebay. I actually saw that bike in CT you linked and I'm def willing to drive there. I have sent several texts and emails to guys there with no luck. When I saw that bike I was like WTF is that! Maybe I'm wrong but when I look at that I see more than $800 to get back to great shape. And I know I'm being a bitch, but I have my heart set on a Honda.

Just remember when buying a bike. They need to sell it more than u want to buy it. Look at the ones this have been listed a long time. And don't sound excited. There's a difference between what there asking and what there going for. If u find one that's been n there a long time there probably ready to get rid of it and fixer uppers. Before u buy add up what the parts r going to cost u and if u can't do the work the labor cost. Like a chain and sprockets and top end on 2 stroke your looking at 250. So it adds up and sometimes fork seals. Then u add n fluid. Sometimes u come out good. And sometimes u might have 3 in a 1500 bike.

That's what im trying to do, find one that's been listed for a little while. I think the problem is when something goes up and it's a decent deal it goes right away. There is a guy trying to sell a 2003 RM125 for $2450, the bike looks real nice, very clean, but it's been listed for about 5 months now. Yesterday he lowered the price finally to $1950.  

Around here (upstate NY) I have seen that bikes typically sell for less than the blue book value. Don't pay more than $1400 for an 11 year old bike, no matter what the condition. I just bought a mint 07 yz250 for $1600.

That sounds like a good deal to me!

Found this one last night i thought of rescuing , Needs a top end and some cleaning up but if you can get it cheap enough . Been neglected i feel bad for the lil' fella. I could have it looking and running sharp in 3 weeks just don't have the extra funds now.      http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-01-honda-cr125-cr-125-/131177207607?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8ac55737&vxp=mtr

I look on ebay everyday and somehow I didn't see that one.

I look on ebay everyday and somehow I didn't see that one.

I have jedi skill when it comes to finding beaters  :p

I hate you! Ha

• Like 1

I have a kind of low budget, I'm looking for a 2000-2003 CR250 or CR125.

You need to decide first of all whether you want a 2nd generation CR (2000/2001) or a third generation (2002-2007). They are completely different bikes. Same with the difference between the 125 and 250.

Once you get that straight, you can forget about KBB values. They are absolutely worthless in the used bike market. You need to compare similar bikes in a region AND season to determine value.

Mines for sale for 4,200 i base the price on i got that in it,  and that's about what it would cost me to build a nice 500 AF i want  :lol:  other than that you can't have it  :p

There is CR500 for sale somewhere around here for $8300, guy said he paid $11,000. It's in nice shape but I've seen nicer for $5000 on ebay. I actually saw that bike in CT you linked and I'm def willing to drive there. I have sent several texts and emails to guys there with no luck. When I saw that bike I was like &%$#@! is that! Maybe I'm wrong but when I look at that I see more than $800 to get back to great shape. And I know I'm being a bitch, but I have my heart set on a Honda.

That's what im trying to do, find one that's been listed for a little while. I think the problem is when something goes up and it's a decent deal it goes right away. There is a guy trying to sell a 2003 RM125 for $2450, the bike looks real nice, very clean, but it's been listed for about 5 months now. Yesterday he lowered the price finally to $1950.

2000 is about right. But I'd ofer 18. If it's real clean

There is CR500 for sale somewhere around here for $8300, guy said he paid $11,000. It's in nice shape but I've seen nicer for $5000 on ebay. I actually saw that bike in CT you linked and I'm def willing to drive there. I have sent several texts and emails to guys there with no luck. When I saw that bike I was like &%$#@! is that! Maybe I'm wrong but when I look at that I see more than $800 to get back to great shape. And I know I'm being a bitch, but I have my heart set on a Honda.

That's what im trying to do, find one that's been listed for a little while. I think the problem is when something goes up and it's a decent deal it goes right away. There is a guy trying to sell a 2003 RM125 for $2450, the bike looks real nice, very clean, but it's been listed for about 5 months now. Yesterday he lowered the price finally to $1950.  

Then keep on looking my brother.  You're right, keep an eye on those that the sellers want a little too much and give it time.  If you rug the guy the right way and offer him a fair price below what he asking, you might get lucky.  It take a while for these guys to realize their not going to get what he's asking.  Right on you're going for a CR500, that's a nice bike any year.  I got lucky and found one locally.  The guy wanted $1400, I offered him $1200 when he finally realized there weren't many takers, and now it sits in my stable at the ready.  Mine was a 90', but was upgraded with all 01 parts.  I got lucky.  You don't find deals like this often.  Keep looking and good luck. :devil:

That yz in CT. is a total turd, be glad noone called you back.

it's not a 96 either lol

Alright, I got a bike today! A 1998 CR250, guy was asking $1700, I got it for $1500. You guys gave me some good advice, thank you!! I went back thru all the local stuff, I had seen this bike a couple weeks ago and wrote it right off, due to the fact that it was butt ugly! It has black plastics which personally I don't like. It was dirty as hell,

mud all over it. But it has a rebuild 9 hours ago (I know just like every other bike on CL) and a bunch of aftermarket parts. Pro taper bars, FMF exhaust, factory connection suspension, black excel rims. You guys helped me see thru the ugliness of it. I had it out today for about 2 hours trail riding with my son and it rode great, has a few minor issues of coarse that I can take care of. Thanks again!!!

Edited by D Mack
  • Like 1