Sign in to follow this  

Picked up an 03 CRF450R need help

Hey all new to the forum just picked up a 2003 CRF 450. The guy I nought it off seemed pretty knowledgable and said that he had been doing the service on this bike for a friend since it was new. He said the top end was done 25 hours ago and the bottom was done 50 hours ago. I've ridden it twice putting 2 houses on it. After the first ride I had a horrible squeal coming from the rear brake so I pulled it apart an found that the pad clip wasn't in properly and rubbing on the disc. After the second ride it felt like it was idling way too high so I got a tach/hour meter and found that the idle was set at 3500 rpm. The manual says to set it at 1700 is this correct? And last but not least I thought I would be on the safe side and changed the oil. This is what I found when I removed the oil filter

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1399083668.240966.jpg

I put a new filter in with the oil change. I should have replaced the spring but I didn't have one. The old spring didn't seat and it bent in half crushing the filter. How much damage do you think I could have done?

Oh boy. If you can retrieve the spring out then your probably good. Buy a new spring and filter before you run the bike again. After the bike is worm and the choke is back in then Adjust the idle down to 1850. If it will not idle then let us know for that next step.

Edited by Diggla117

I did get the spring straightened, when I put it back in I started the bolts and pushed in and out it felt like it was working tightened everything up to spec filled with oil idled for 4 min and topped it off to the centre of the check glass. I turned the idle down to 1800 and seems to run fine.

Might be good then. Next time you change fluids fill EACH side 650-750ml. Don't trust the glass or drain bolt

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to TT, I have an '05 and love mine. Lots of knowledgable and helpful guys on here for whatever you need, just be sure to search for the answer first in case its been covered. Take care!

Welcome mate. This is a fantastic forum with a lot of very knowledgeable guys enjoy the bike.

I hope I didn't mess anything up. Thanx for the help.

Yeah man No problem. Should be good as long as there's no part of the spring missing. From what I've gathered you just had unfiltered oil for a bit. Keep a eye on that filter for metal flakes when changing your oil.

Yes, the concern I have is that the oil wasn't circulating properly. I added around 1400 ml total and when I poured the oil that was drained into a empty container there was only maybe 800 ml. The hours that I put on the back were by no means hard hours I'm 40 haven't touched a bike in over 20 years and I was just getting my bearings and confidence back on this beast of a bike. These 450 four strokes are awesome toys.

Yes, the concern I have is that the oil wasn't circulating properly. I added around 1400 ml total and when I poured the oil that was drained into a empty container there was only maybe 800 ml. The hours that I put on the back were by no means hard hours I'm 40 haven't touched a bike in over 20 years and I was just getting my bearings and confidence back on this beast of a bike. These 450 four strokes are awesome toys.

You added all that in the engine side?... Your gathering tube def needs to be emptied and there has to be oil all in your intake. Remove your air filter and clean that up.. Prop smoking like a freight train. It should be fine, did you add a crazy amount to the trans? That'll cause migration issues for sure in there,

You realize there's two separate oil areas, correct? About 1400ml would be about right for both sides, but you'd need to make sure you didnt just put 1400 back into one side. The engine side fill is on left side, the trans is on the right side. Dont bother with the level check hole on the trans. There's convoluted procedure to get it done right and its just easier to pour 700cc in there and be done with it.

As far as the spring on the filter goes, there is a by pass that will allow oil to circulate even if the filter is plugged entirely, so You probably didnt hurt anything, but get a new spring. Put a dab of grease on the filter end to hold the spring while you install it, you wont have any more issues.

If it were me, Id service the suspension too. Has the shock ever had a look? Its over a decade old now...and the fork..yikes, the OEM oil was shitting right out of the gate. Hopefully they've been attended to.

I put 750 on the engine side and 650 in the trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

I also change the air filter after every ride. I just put 3 hours on it after the oil change and the oil is black. Ran pretty good much better with the idle down. Really hard to start when I lay it down though.

I also change the air filter after every ride. I just put 3 hours on it after the oil change and the oil is black. Ran pretty good much better with the idle down. Really hard to start when I lay it down though.

Black oil is good. It means it's doing it's job and collecting all the trash.

When you lay it down or start it out and it dosnt fire right up, pull the hot start it, hold kill switch and give two hard or half assed kicks to clear cylinder of fuel then push hot start back in and she should fire up

I'm going to get some feeler gauges tomorrow after work to check the valve clearances. When I take the valve cover off can I clean it up inside and out with brake clean?

I'm going to get some feeler gauges tomorrow after work to check the valve clearances. When I take the valve cover off can I clean it up inside and out with brake clean?

Wouldnt recommend it as it can get down in your oil. Spray brake clean or carb cleaner on a clean, lint free rag and wipe it down real good. Worked great for me.

Some clean rags is all you should need to clean the inside up.. I would go staying any kind of cleaning down in with your oil

Some clean rags is all you should need to clean the inside up.. I would go staying any kind of cleaning down in with your oil