Sign in to follow this  

sx-f 250 2012 oil questions?!

so i've done an oil change on my used 250sx-f 2012 since i bought it used from a guy who never changed the oil but trail rode it............. So i went to Canadian tire and picked up some 15w-50 synthetic mobil 1. Ran it for about 3 hours, works fine so far. Manual says to run 10w-50... Will running 15w-50 affect the engine? and or transmission. Also is this a good oil to use? Its about 8-9$ cheaper then the recommended oil to use and that adds up.

Any information on this oil or oil you use also problems or success you've had will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

attached below is the oil i use.

sxf engine oil.png

No, 15W50 won't hurt anything. The 15 is the cold viscosity.

I prefer running thinner viscosity oils because they have less additives in them to make them thicker.

You won't ever see a 10W50 oil outperform a 10W40 for example and 15W50/60 is absolutely the worst for protection, even if its a decent oil from a decent company.

This is why I use 10W40 in my 4 strokes, doesn't matter what the brand, and its always worked fantastic. I've run the KTM specified oil once and the motor ran/performed way better with the 10W40. GO figure!

Ohh and Mobile 1 is not a motorcycle oil, so I recommend not using it.

Edited by tye1138

A few top tuners have said that the thicker oils actually give more high load protection

I would not run Mobil 1. As Ty said, it's not a motorcycle oil so it's not necessarily meant for wet clutches.

I run a higher grade oil in my 13' 250 SX-F. I run Motorex 10w50 Full Synthetic and haven't had any issues yet. Bike shifts very smoothly and I run the bike pretty hard. I dumped the oil out after a solid 5 hours of racing and it was dirty but wasn't black by any means. I won't run anything different.

alright so i plan on going out to my local canadian tire or powersports dealer...( ill try both) to find the best 10w40 i can.

Will any regular/high performance 10w40 full synthetic **motorcycle** oil work? and when i start racing should i switch to 15w50 because im going to be running it as hard as i can.. or stick to 10w40...

its jsut the 10w50 is like 16.99 then convert it to CAD (our dollar is worth 90 cents) and then ship it.. 5$ a package ... and then go pick it up...

Im going to look into howmuch it is at the local dealer but i bet its alot more.