Sign in to follow this  

Making a Street Legal 2 Stroke in California

I have a 1970 Suzuki two stroke enduro that is street legal and smog exempt because of it's age.  From the research I have done it seems that I am legally able to swap whatever engine I want into it as it is exempt from smog laws.

What is stopping me from just buying a newer 2 stroke KTM, taking my plates and serial number off of my old bike, and putting them on the KTM, then just updating my registration with the new engine and chassis?

This seems perfectly legal, has anyone heard of someone doing this? The only catch I see is that I would essentially be "Junking a KTM, and possibly having to work with insurance a bit to update my policy.

I'm guessing:

Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect....

Mike

• Like 2

So after pouring through California guidelines on frame swaps and engine swaps. it seems like I will have to have the title for both bikes. Then fill out the paperwork for a frame swap witch would change the vin number for the my yamaha to the vin number for the KTM.  The KTM's frame would now be registered as a yamaha. Then I fill out the paperwork for an engine swap which requires the CHP to verify the ownership of the engine in the KTM and that the vin on the frame matches the vin on the paperwork, which it will at this point because of the frame swap.  Once verified, everything will be in order and the only thing that will have actually been swapped is the license plate, and any lights I need to add to the KTM.

This would mean that I have a KTM registered as an old street legal Yamaha, and it should be perfectly legal.

Please Poke any holes into this plan or share your experiences, because I am about to go through with this, and I would rather not buy the KTM and find I have to resell it because  of some rule that I missed.

BTW If everything goes smoothly, I will document the process for anyone seeking to do the same thing.

You would have to show up at the local CHP office with a KTM frame fitted with all your Yamaha components to get the frame swap approved.. You cant just bring them 2 frames and 2 titles in your name and say you want to upgrade the Yamaha frame for the KTM. There is what is known as the letter of the law and the intent of the law. Simply because you meet the letter of the law does not necessarily mean you meet the intent. CHP VIN officers are not stupid. I have seen my share of them who weren't the sharpest cops on the force but most have seen (or been trained regarding) just about every type of scam possible. Yours would just be one they could add to the list with a "Nice try A$$hole"  If you would like to challenge the intent of the law let us know how it works out.

ST O.D.

• Like 1

It's called a 'special construction' re-vin, and it's common practice in the Harley world.

As mentioned, you must prove your build, in person, in four stages

- raw frames

- raw motors

- assembled frame with motor, and left over frame

- finished bike

It's a pain in the ass for a truly under-whelming bike in the end....

It's called a 'special construction' re-vin, and it's common practice in the Harley world.

- raw frames

- raw motors

- finished bike

That is for a completely new build not a VIN switch which is what the OP is trying to do, two completely different things.  The VIN switch is illegal in all 50 states, that is what "chop shops" do when they are trying to "clean" up a stolen vehicle.

- raw frames

- raw motors

- finished bike

That is for a completely new build not a VIN switch which is what the OP is trying to do, two completely different things.  The VIN switch is illegal in all 50 states, that is what "chop shops" do when they are trying to "clean" up a stolen vehicle.

No, anytime you want to change the VIN on your motorcycle, you can. You just have to do it properly.

You can do SC re-vin-ing if you want to any bike.

The only 'reason'  to do it is mis-matching vin parts from a re-build, or a basket case, or a custom bike......., or to re-categorize your motorcycle.

I

Kinda weird to ask a loaded question like this on a public forumn.What makes you think thumpertalk members engage in stuff like this?

It's only illegal if you do it illegally (un-reported)....and then you can't sell it, unless the buyer is clueless and doesn't check vin's on the pink slip.

I don't understand the confusion here.

You need to ask yourself if its worth it for you to do being you are the one investing the effort and time into this. If you can answer YES then go for it as you are the one that has to ride and maintain the moto. Plus when your done, if you ride it and your daddy parts get stiff from a job well done than its worth it.

Life is short so have a bit of fun

The problem is the two stroke part, which I forgot about

Unless the motor AND FRAME are part of the 'grandfathered-in' pre 2003 models, it will probably not pass inspection with a 2002 frame around a 2003+ motor, just to get it green.