XL600 street tracker project

Just picked up this pig today- an '83 Honda XL600. Has 15k miles on it, new brakes, needs tires badly, but runs like a top. Has the classic cam chain tensioner plug leak. Picked it up for $1000. Currently trying to sell my XT350. I just finished chopping the frame and building a seat for my buddies cafe racer, so I have the itch to do some chopping on something of my own- I want to go the street tracker route on this.

DFB5A503-6676-4868-96BB-F3A3C5F36DA0.jpg

I need new tires before I really want to take this bike anywhere, so I want to get the proper front wheel ordered ASAP. I want to switch to an 18" rim in the front. Doing some research, it seems like the widest I can go with the stock forks is a 120/80/18 tire. Anyone have any input on this and on what width rim I should go with in the front?

It sounds like a 130/80 would fit on the stock rear. This sounds like it could be a good combo. I read that a 150 won't rub but requires a wider wheel.. I don't know if I feel that's necessary.

I don't plan on lowering the bike at all, being 6'3". I like how it currently sits. I need to figure out what tank will fit, I haven't found a solid answer on this... the pick-n-pull with a tape measure may be the best option.

I'm looking at the DynoJet stage 2 jetting kit, a set of cone filters for the carbs to eliminate the airbox, and an aftermarket pipe. Unfortunately Dynojet advertises the HI-ALT version of their kit, although you can't get it for the XL600. I live at 4500' and ride up to 9000'. I haven't found many suggestions on a solid offering for an XL600 pipe- seems some people don't like Supertrapp? And the FMF isn't a great fit... Might be able to make something work.

Anyone delete their battery on their XL600 using a capacitor? What rating worked best?

Hopefully I can gather some information from you guys with experience to get me headed in the right direction. Thanks for any input in advance!

-Sean

Edited by seanpistol

Dont worry about the Dyno jet kit. Just find the exhaust you want to run and buy individual jets from jetsrus. There are two types of main jets these bikes can have, short stubby little guys wwith a flat head slot in them or longer ones that require a hex wrench. Usually an 83 xl600 will have the short guys.

Why 18 inch and not 17 on the front wheel?

Dont worry about the Dyno jet kit. Just find the exhaust you want to run and buy individual jets from jetsrus. There are two types of main jets these bikes can have, short stubby little guys wwith a flat head slot in them or longer ones that require a hex wrench. Usually an 83 xl600 will have the short guys.

Why 18 inch and not 17 on the front wheel?

Thanks for that advice, I like that plan...

Really no reason on 18 vs 17, other than that I had seen someone that put an 18 on the front.

I just posted this in another thread-

"Can anyone confirm the 120/80/18 will fit on the stock front forks? That as wide as you can go?

How wide a rim do you need to run this? Seems like 2.25 was suggested above... I just got off the phone with Revzilla about tires, they said there is no way that combo will work and that a 120 would need to be on a significantly larger 4.25 to 4.5" rim.

I said that I read about someone that had a 130 tire on the stock rear 17x2.5 rim and he said there's no way.... that would require a 5 to 5.1" rim?

Thoughts? Advice from experience?"

Made a little progress today. Found out a CG125 tank fits great. Bought a brand new fake one from China, unfortunately. All the used tanks I found were beat up and overpriced. Here it is:

_12.jpg

This is the same tank that's on this bike-

CRD-Apollo-1.jpg

Talked to a guy with a similar setup to what I'm looking for. He is running a 120/80 on the front on an 18 x 2.15 rim. He is also running a 130/80 on the stock 17 x 2.5 rear, which is great news to me- should save a few bucks that could be better used elsewhere.

Right now I'm looking at the Shinko 705 tires, try to get a front wheel and set of tires ordered by tomorrow night-

shi_12_tir_705_dua_spo_mc-rea.jpg

Ordered a 36 hole 18 x 2.15 rim for the front and a set of Shinko 705 tires. 120/80/18 for the front and 130/80/17 for the rear.

Anyone have a muffler recommendation? Doesn't have to be a perfect fit if I can weld on it. I like loud bikes with as much power as you can squeeze out of them.

Ordered a 36 hole 18 x 2.15 rim for the front and a set of Shinko 705 tires. 120/80/18 for the front and 130/80/17 for the rear.

Anyone have a muffler recommendation? Doesn't have to be a perfect fit if I can weld on it. I like loud bikes with as much power as you can squeeze out of them.

Sean; Interesting you are working on something similar to what I am. CRD does nice work. Pedro has been pretty helpful to me, they did a lot of work to get that bike to sit right. I had a bike started, but could not get the title, so I am in the process of looking for another. Preferably an XL as I want to make it both streetable and trail worthy. Nothing too extreme. Where in Utah are you?

Hey Sean,

How 'bout you build two of the bobbed bike you pictured, and then sell one to me. That is a cool ride, sort of reminiscent of an early Triumph, but actually cooler looking. Are you planning on something that looks like that?

Got the bike tore down. This is the dirtiest bike I have ever encountered. Grease all over everything.

6DD422EF-AB68-4FA6-AC6D-696BF2494407.jpg

Discovered a shitty part of the frame. They did a great job trying to fix it...  ?

AA856643-7848-4AF8-BC20-EB116255201C.jpg

89753219-7CF1-4453-8C49-8B256A3D73A5.jpg

Cut it out and replaced the 4" section with solid 1" bar. Tapered at the top to slide into the tube.

3229C1CB-A7D3-474C-A0F5-582CAB0F98EC.jpg

FF519ACB-A196-44BE-883B-5093C84E6BD0.jpg

Ground the booger welds smooth and re-attached the mount for the kickstand.

146B6C98-C650-41D8-A214-89F63241C1CB.jpg

Tires are here. Waiting on the new front rim.

3BF572C5-84F1-469D-80F8-0C25E9C0EC5E.jpg

Edited by seanpistol

Hey Sean,

How 'bout you build two of the bobbed bike you pictured, and then sell one to me. That is a cool ride, sort of reminiscent of an early Triumph, but actually cooler looking. Are you planning on something that looks like that?

Salt Lake City

Yessir, something in that direction.

Have a look at Luke's stuff. He is doing something similar. Bronco Luva; Maybe inquire about the XR project. He said he might sell it when he is done. https://www.facebook.com/BarretoStudios

Thanks NVXR350 for the link to Luke's work, very nice. I'll keep that handy.

I searched for the bike Sean posted and found it on a CRD website. Sean, I hope you don't mind if I post it. http://thebikeshed.cc/2012/11/20/crd-19/

Anyway, I also searched CL and found a few XR600s for sale near me. I don't have the time right now to do more than wish, but interested in seeing what Seanpistol does.

Sean, bummer about the frame, but you get to practice your welding skills. Will you need to cut out frame sections to get what you want, or does it stay intact? Best of luck.

Edited by Bronco Luva

Thanks NVXR350 for the link to Luke's work, very nice. I'll keep that handy.

I searched for the bike Sean posted and found it on a CRD website. Sean, I hope you don't mind if I post it. http://thebikeshed.cc/2012/11/20/crd-19/

Anyway, I also searched CL and found a few XR600s for sale near me. I don't have the time right now to do more than wish, but interested in seeing what Seanpistol does.

Sean, bummer about the frame, but you get to practice your welding skills. Will you need to cut out frame sections to get what you want, or does it stay intact? Best of luck.

CRD does a lot of stuff. Been communicating with Pedro for a while. Also, look up this link. You will like this as well. http://speedtractor.com/portfolio/speedtractor-t72-cl600-scrambler/

Will you need to cut out frame sections to get what you want, or does it stay intact? Best of luck.

I'm not 100% sure yet. I may end up cutting the whole subframe off and making my own seat frame, or might just cut part of the subframe off and add a little to it. I'm going to wait for the tank to get here to figure that out.

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been putting a lot of time into this. Making the seat frame and mounts for the new tank took me the most amount of time. Here's where I'm at-

3572EE51-4AD1-4564-95B2-0151BEC4BC51.jpg

Rear wheel is just mocked up because I seem to be missing a spacer for the sprocket side... wiring isn't done yet. Just adjusted the valves, went through the clutch and got the motor in yesterday. Seat I made should be covered this week. Need to make a bracket for the front light and turn signals. Getting close!