Sign in to follow this  

First time riding again after a year

Hey everyone, I generally have some bad habits on the track but moved up to B class speed over summer 2013 racing, but compound fractured my collarbone in September and my bike is toasted (in the process of rebuilding)

I'm wondering what to expect when riding for the first time again and not to go over my head and have a crash. If anyone has some mental techniques or experiences they'd like to share for this type of thing id like to hear about it. It's been a long time since I've even sat on a bike so my natural feeling of it has slipped away. Should I take it slow and re-learn the main techniques getting used to being on the track weekend by weekend to get to the speed I was?

The biggest thing I worry about is not being able to ride as comfortable or as fast anywhere near I was last year, which could seem silly but I always look to get faster finding safer ways to go about it.

The main thing is to take your time...don't try too hard, especially the first few times back on the bike. Ride an easy track or if you can portions of a track and focus on your techniques instead of speed. Another big thing that's often overlooked is vision. I know when I've been off the bike a while the most obvious thing to me is how fast the ground is moving in front of me. It seems difficult for my brain to process what is going on through my vision. Give yourself some time to get back to where you were. 

See more of my free riding tips at: http://www.gsmxs.com/category/free-mx-riding-tips

• Like 1

Right there with you, broke my collarbone in Feb. been off the bike since January due to out of state college. I come back home may 16, and have a national enduro I'm racing in on June 1. I'm terrified! And to add on to that, I think I broke my collarbone plate this week. Gettin x rays tomorrow to see :/

• Like 2

The main thing is to take your time...don't try too hard, especially the first few times back on the bike. Ride an easy track or if you can portions of a track and focus on your techniques instead of speed. Another big thing that's often overlooked is vision. I know when I've been off the bike a while the most obvious thing to me is how fast the ground is moving in front of me. It seems difficult for my brain to process what is going on through my vision. Give yourself some time to get back to where you were.

See more of my free riding tips at: http://www.gsmxs.com/category/free-mx-riding-tips

Thanks guys and Gary, Appreciate your insight into this I like the information about how not to focus on fast ground movement infront cause I know that will be intense through ruts and what not up here in WA again. Will just let that natural ability to not worry and look ahead set in again.

Right there with you, broke my collarbone in Feb. been off the bike since January due to out of state college. I come back home may 16, and have a national enduro I'm racing in on June 1. I'm terrified! And to add on to that, I think I broke my collarbone plate this week. Gettin x rays tomorrow to see :/

That sucks man, I hope you find out some good news with that X-ray. I didn't have surgery on my collarbone when it happened cause I didn't have insurance at the time, I do now but have decided to wait a while cause they would have to re-break it at this point anyways. My bone is very manipulated but sturdy and doesn't hurt anymore. Even if it broke hopefully they can make it a quick fix and not try to make your hospital bill go out of control since collarbones can be simple. Good luck to you!

That sucks man, I hope you find out some good news with that X-ray. I didn't have surgery on my collarbone when it happened cause I didn't have insurance at the time, I do now but have decided to wait a while cause they would have to re-break it at this point anyways. My bone is very manipulated but sturdy and doesn't hurt anymore. Even if it broke hopefully they can make it a quick fix and not try to make your hospital bill go out of control since collarbones can be simple. Good luck to you!

looks like I'm good! Doc cleared me to do everything. Got surgery 8 weeks ago and its fully healed. Hell yeah. Now let's see how my confidence is back on the bike!

looks like I'm good! Doc cleared me to do everything. Got surgery 8 weeks ago and its fully healed. Hell yeah. Now let's see how my confidence is back on the bike!

Glad to hear that man, stay healthy

• Like 1

Glad to hear that man, stay healthy

I rode today at my house! It was going well, everything came back to me real quick. Arm pump was instant but all my leg and back workouts have helped. I squat 275 and deadlift 305 now so that helps. I hit the loop in my woods, rounded a blind corner and there was a limb embedded in the ground on the inside turn. It first caught my pipe and grazed off that hitting my radiator at a near perpendicular angle and broke that clean off at the bottom. It then got my leg since it was out and I thought I tore something in my knee, couldn't walk at first. Had to walk the bike back a mile with a bum knee. This happened within 15 min of starting the bike :( ordered a rad tonight and will have it here tues. National enduro in two weeks... Sh$t

I hope your knee was just a quick stinger and nothing worse!

• Like 1

Damn...welcome back right?!! Like above hopefully that was a quick stinger and your knee is fine and you are already ripping right now!