Sign in to follow this  

2007 hard to start

My '07 has always been a hard starter but after a few months of sitting it has become so bad I don't even want to ride it. On a warm engine it starts fine but let it sit a few days and it's a real beast. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

My '07 has always been a hard starter but after a few months of sitting it has become so bad I don't even want to ride it. On a warm engine it starts fine but let it sit a few days and it's a real beast. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

easy way to diagnose this. If she doesn't start, try bump starting her. If she starts on a bump start, then you need to shim your valves.

I have found, using a good procedure your bike likes, makes a big difference. With mine in cold weather i'll pump the throttle open 3 times, twice if it's warmer, push the kickstarter through slowly, listening for two clicks of the decomp. cam, then while on the stand, with left foot on peg and right on starter, jump up slightly and then down really fast with the kickstarter. I usually get mine started first kick that way.

Another thing, if it's been sitting more than a few days, i'll drain the carb and refill it with fresh gas from the tank, seems to help as i've heard the light ends of the gas nowadays evaporates quickly.

Edited by bucket list

If your valves are already shimmed correctly, it's time for a valve job all together. But its a good idea to rule everything else out first because valves are pricey

If your valves are already shimmed correctly, it's time for a valve job all together. But its a good idea to rule everything else out first because valves are pricey

A quick compression test or leak down test would rule out or condem the valves. If he's got good comp, spark and a good start procedure, then he should be ripping into the carb.