Sign in to follow this  

Iv struck gold in my oil pics please help KTM 525

Well I seem to have the worst kind of luck the reason I picked a KTM 525 was for reliability I waited months to find a low hour non abused 525. Well bought the bike 06 with 65 hours on it two months ago. Im now at 96 hours I am doing my second oil change. My heart stopped when I drained the oil Nothing but gold and metal shavings. No knocking never ran it low on oil air filter clean wtf how can this happon these bikes are supposed to be bulletproof. Pics someone please tell me its normal on these bikes.

The last picture was after I flushed the oil refilled it and ran it for about 10 min.

1399098615290.jpg

1399098647436.jpg

1399098665453.jpg

1399098685661.jpg

First of all looking at the pics, stop running it till its sorted. Is it magnetic? If its not, it could be cam chain or something else chewing into something.

• Like 1

Yes I will not run her again until I figure it out its weird no rattling no knocking.. there's actually not ghat many pieces of metal in it I'm just worried about the gold metallic color and also none of it seems to be magnetic.

Edited by james357

Start with the easy. Pull the clutch cover and look in there. A common wear item is the shift lock mechanism. Up through 2006 model years the roller was a ball bearing design. For 2007 it was changed to a solid roller. 

While inside, you can also check around the gears there. 

Other easy access points are the ignition cover and the valve adjuster covers. If nothing is obvious there, you'll need to dig deeper. Beta offers a Workshop Manual online to help you understand the specifics of the RFS engine.

Yea I will pull the covers off it tonight can the shift lock mechanism be causing the gold dust?. The research I have been doing all points to lower end bearings So whats a lower end rebuild cost for these bikes 1200 bucks?

I really wish I stuck with smokers.

Hang in there James. It may not be not a big fix. They are a very robust engine. Keeps us posted.

Ok so some good news so I saved the oil I drained last night to show my buddy. Well we looked at it in the sunlight and it its aluminum color not goldish. So I walk back in the shop and that's when I realized our lights put out yellow light making it look like gold. So I'm pretty sure it's not bearing material so that's a good sign. I will still tear into the clutch n valves tonight I am hoping it's a easy fix now.

Well I took the clutch cover off the only fresh ware marks are on my recluse see pictures not sure if that's my issue.

1399175419932.jpg

1399175437937.jpg

1399175463235.jpg

I too have a 06 525 and its allshot besides the head and tranny....I need new everything it seems. I hope you get it sorted out man. Wish mine had the rekluse

My 07 525 always has some metal slivers, I've been running mine for 3 years with no problems. I also do oil changes around every 500 miles though.

Well I took the clutch cover off the only fresh ware marks are on my recluse see pictures not sure if that's my issue.

Call Rekluse on Monday and let them know what's up.  They may want those pictures.  I believe I remember I had a similar issue on another bike with one of their auto clutches and they fixed me up...

Are you sure it's not the thrust washers on the rod

wouldn't I have to tear into the bottom to check those.

I don't know maybe I'm paranoid I have never seen that much metal in a oil change before but this is my first thumper I have ever owned. I will check the valve cover and ignition side today and I will be sending in a oil analyst this week.

Call Rekluse on Monday and let them know what's up. They may want those pictures. I believe I remember I had a similar issue on another bike with one of their auto clutches and they fixed me up...

Yeah I have never owned a rekluse so I'm not sure if that's normal or not but will be definitely emailing them some pictures.

That's your recluse coming apart. Get that sorted out

+1 on the recluse, from the photos that looks to be the source of the metal.

Yes I usually chop the throttle down when I shift. Its pretty sad since it has less than 50 hours on it previous owner had it installed July of last year. Plus that's all trail hours I have yet to race the bike.

Okay so yesterday I checked the valves everything was in spec looked good. So I went ahead and removed the rekluse and put my stock clutch back in, ran her for 10 minutes changed the oil then rode her for about an hour changed the oil again. There's barely any aluminum now but still have some black mushy pieces like the size of a poppy seed or smaller. I am hoping its leftover clutch pieces not sure what else it could be?

Edited by james357