Sign in to follow this  

Bad cdi box?

OK so I've replaced my stator,voltage regulator and batttery. Bike ran great for a week. Went to my friends house for a little while and when I went to leave the bike died just a couple blocks down. I drained the carb, the spark plug is new, coil is good, fuel looked clean I fill up often so it never sits always fresh. The spark is firing but it seems weak or like its not enough. Is this a bad cdi box how can it test it?

OK so I've replaced my stator,voltage regulator and batttery. Bike ran great for a week. Went to my friends house for a little while and when I went to leave the bike died just a couple blocks down. I drained the carb, the spark plug is new, coil is good, fuel looked clean I fill up often so it never sits always fresh. The spark is firing but it seems weak or like its not enough. Is this a bad cdi box how can it test it?

Generally CDI's don't fail, in which case it would either work or it wouldn't.

Did you replace with a new stator, either way I would start here, http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/541623-charging-system-diagnoses-plus-the-free-power-mod/#!HyGyb,  just to eliminate the stator as a possible cause.

Just for the record the bike won't start. But there is visable spark just seems weak or not firing every time its supposed to

Generally CDI's don't fail, in which case it would either work or it wouldn't.

Did you replace with a new stator, either way I would start here, http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/541623-charging-system-diagnoses-plus-the-free-power-mod/#!HyGyb, just to eliminate the stator as a possible cause.

stator and reg. Both brand new

Just for the record the bike won't start. But there is visable spark just seems weak or not firing every time its supposed to

stator and reg. Both brand new

Just because it's new, doesn't mean it can't be faulty.

Doesn't the stator have it's own source coil though? I remember Eddie saying the drz will run with a competley failed charging system Because of that.

Too bad I just sold two CDI boxes over the last week, not sure I want to let loose of my last one, as I'd like to have a spare. There has to be someone with a DRZ near you you can quickly swap one in to test with.

Have you checked voltages with the bike off and running? Have you checked for a good ground at the motor / frame? Have you checked the primary / secondary coil resistance?

The bike doesn't run therefore voltages can't. Be checked like that

DRZ will run with a completely failed charging system - true. If the battery has a charge, it will run off the battery. No, there is no source coil for the CDI.  Eddie was mistaken about that.  There is 1 internal coil and 1 external coil in the stator that communicate with the CDI box needed to run.

As long as you have a charged battery, you can forget about the RR and the rest of the 12 volt charging system.  Good or bad as long as the ignition part of the stator is functional, it will run.  Because of the rapid rise short duration spark energy, the spark does not look like much to the naked eye.

What brand is the new stator?  

• Like 1

DRZ will run with a completely failed charging system - true. If the battery has a charge, it will run off the battery. No, there is no source coil for the CDI. Eddie was mistaken about that. There is 1 internal coil and 1 external coil in the stator that communicate with the CDI box needed to run.

As long as you have a charged battery, you can forget about the RR and the rest of the 12 volt charging system. Good or bad as long as the ignition part of the stator is functional, it will run. Because of the rapid rise short duration spark energy, the spark does not look like much to the naked eye.

What brand is the new stator?

Wow I was interested in that because my spark looks weak as hell and also doesn't look like it's firing enough times. But it's a rocks motorsports electrics stator. Made in U.S.A. and is oem spec. I used an electrosport regulator with it. battery is new and always on the tender jr.

Where are some of the areas wires may rub thru the frame?

Wow I was interested in that because my spark looks weak as hell and also doesn't look like it's firing enough times. But it's a rocks motorsports electrics stator. Made in U.S.A. and is oem spec. I used an electrosport regulator with it. battery is new and always on the tender jr.

Where are some of the areas wires may rub thru the frame?

Sorry ricks motorsport electics****

I do not know anything good or bad about that brand replacement stator.  Unfortunately your problem does sound stator related.  The only common place stator wires get rubbed are inside the motor case if the wires are not correctly under the metal shields that protect the wires.

All the wires are under their respective shields, I have a good feeling there may be a short near the steering head or the cdi box may have been fried from before the stator and regulator were replaced and finally gave out after 2 weeks.

I have never known a CDI to fail :thinking: .. No Wait .. I had one fail on a Brand New Bike , we rode it around the Stealers Yard . It ran fine , when we got it home :thumbsdn:

Stealer Replaced the CDI for Free ( CR125 ) .

Edited by ITS CHOOKEN

Anybody know what voltage should be coming out of cdi box to coil?

Something like 150 to 250 volts. But it is a spike, you need a peak hold meter to capture the spike.

Something like 150 to 250 volts. But it is a spike, you need a peak hold meter to capture the spike.

I'm pretty sure digital blue point meter has that function I'll have to try it tonight

Ok maybe I did not divulge enough info about what happened. A week before I replace my stator and regulator the battery was dead...so what did I do? I jumped it because I had no other option I was out 9 the road. Happened a few times. So in result I fried my stator and RR. Then I ordered parts replaced them the bike ran great and was properly charging for a week maybe 2? Went for a ride chilled out for a couple hours, went home 2 blocks down the road bike dies hasn't run since.

This is why I feel maybe the cdi box is toast. But I'm thrown off because I do see spark it just doesn't appear sufficient.